engine rattle

Re: engine rattle

Postby Monkeymagic on Wed, 13 Dec 2017 9:13 +0000

G'day DB,
It appears the offending seal was No.1 as it has compression damage, although there was carbon in 3 and 4.
Despite the length of time the symptoms were evident ,the injector seats cleaned up well.It took a few minutes to clean the seats. I have a photo or two but I can't seem to be able to post it.
MM
Monkeymagic

Postby Monkeymagic on Sun, 17 Dec 2017 8:16 +0000

It appears I was premature in my celebration of victory. I apparently had more than one issue at the same time. I have a engine that idles and performs better however I now have coolant draining into the sump.Something I didn't pick-up on the first time around. So my prognosis here is either the oil cooler has a leak internally or I have a suspect head gasket neither one is an easy fix.I will start with the oil cooler but getting access to all the fixings has proven difficult. I again seek the wisdom of others who have gone before.I don't have the symptoms of a "blown" head gasket but it could be early days and only a small leak at this time.
Rgds MM
Monkeymagic

Postby Monkeymagic on Sun, 17 Dec 2017 11:21 +0000

I don't have a lot of documentation regarding the removal of the oil cooler components ,only the Haynes manual and it doesn't cover this procedure as it is a fairly challenging process. Suffice to say the book says in "faults" that diluted oil will be oil cooler leak or head gasket leak. I suppose you can guess now that I have removed the cooler which one is the culprit.
I should say having seen the design of the cooler I should have picked the head gasket first.The cooler is simple in design and robust in construction and if you are using coolant instead of water there should e no need for any repairs.I intend to put it all back together and run a self sealing product through the water jacket to seal the head gasket. I have used this before on worse cases and it works well. It is a liquid about 100ml for $14 called "seal tight" and saves a whole lot of pain. Last time I used it I ran the old diesel for about two years before the someone cooked the motor again. I wasn't really sure if the oil cooler leaked because if it did you cant use this product. If it gets into your oil it will line the cylinders and seal them causing the very thing you are trying to avoid (seized pistons).
Here we go again. !!!!
Rgds MM
Monkeymagic

Postby Monkeymagic on Sat, 20 Jan 2018 7:52 +0000

happy new year to all. well story so far:- Oil cooler and seal Ok ,replaced head gasket and all seals incl injector seals and fitted new water pump.Used the advice on this forum and fitted the 2 piece pump. The aluminium head (2008 Hilux) was measured and found to be in specifications so installed as is. No better .... drained sump after a week and found 6 litres of water in the sump. Bit the bullet had the head removed pressure tested
and skimmed and fitted all new seals again (2ce in a month). That was finished two days ago and I drained the sump today and found 3 litres of water in the sump. I am at a loss ...Help......
any worthwhile ideas will be entertained

Rgds MM
Monkeymagic

Previous

Return to Introductions