G'day, I bought a bloody Hilux!

G'day, I bought a bloody Hilux!

Postby DaveDoinIt on Sun, 28 Apr 2024 9:56 +0000

G'day,

I did it, I bought a bloody Hilux brand new off the stealers! SR extra cab 4x4. It should turn up in July. I have some plans to build it into my one man touring and adventure machine to take all across Australia. I have always wanted a Toyota 4x4 since my old man got a FJ55 back in the 70's but have never really been in a position where I could till now.

I have heaps of mods I want to do, suspension, bullbar, winch, rock sliders, long range tank, canopy and 12volt system for example to get it ready for adventure and I look forward to sharing ideas and thoughts with other Lux heads.

Cheers,
Dave,
Sydney Aus
DaveDoinIt

Re: G'day, I bought a bloody Hilux!

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 28 Apr 2024 2:54 +0000

Welcome Dave,
Check out some of the garages and pics on the forum, plenty of stuff to go through, might give a few ideas.
Have Fun.
Rob_Wood

Postby dave g on Sun, 28 Apr 2024 7:23 +0000

Just make shore you do things in the right order work on all your gear first leave the suspension to last that way you will get it right the first time around.
dave g

Postby DaveDoinIt on Tue, 30 Apr 2024 3:23 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:Welcome Dave,
Check out some of the garages and pics on the forum, plenty of stuff to go through, might give a few ideas.
Have Fun.

Thanks Rob, I have found quite a few inspirational rigs on here already. I just have to be careful that what inspires matches my financial means.
DaveDoinIt

Postby DaveDoinIt on Tue, 30 Apr 2024 3:58 +0000

dave g wrote:Just make shore you do things in the right order work on all your gear first leave the suspension to last that way you will get it right the first time around.

That's the plan Dave (nice name by the way), Camping set up, bar work and winch then I'll think about suspension, wheels and tyres, and maybe a sneaky little body mount chop for extra radius on the rolling bits perhaps but that's getting ahead of myself. First things I need are a alloy canopy, roof top tent, 12v system and a fridge. This will make the car usable for its intended purpose. Then I can start improving it. I'm hoping to have it Simpson Desert ready in 12 months on a budget and keeping it light yet comfortable. (tell him he's dreamin' son)
DaveDoinIt

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 30 Apr 2024 6:18 +0000

DaveDoinIt wrote:
Rob_Wood wrote:Welcome Dave,
Have Fun.

Thanks Rob, I have found quite a few inspirational rigs on here already. I just have to be careful that what inspires matches my financial means.

We all have an issue with financial means. These seems to just limit each of us to different degrees.

DaveDoinIt wrote:
dave g wrote:Just make shore you do things in the right order work on all your gear first leave the suspension to last that way you will get it right the first time around.

That's the plan Dave (nice name by the way), Camping set up, bar work and winch then I'll think about suspension, wheels and tyres, and maybe a sneaky little body mount chop for extra radius on the rolling bits perhaps but that's getting ahead of myself. First things I need are a alloy canopy, roof top tent, 12v system and a fridge. This will make the car usable for its intended purpose. Then I can start improving it. I'm hoping to have it Simpson Desert ready in 12 months on a budget and keeping it light yet comfortable. (tell him he's dreamin' son)

Norweld are OK for the canopies, we have their gear on the Fire Trucks.
When you do get to the suspension (after bar work etc.), don't forget to calculate the missus & kids, a mate made the mistake of telling his lot that he needed to "REDO" his suspension ... not to bad right? Then he told her why, now he only see the littleuns on weekends. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rob_Wood

Return to Introductions