The Bull Build Up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

The Bull Build Up

Postby Bull on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 3:02 +0000

It looks like everyone puts their build ups in here (Gereral Discussion).
Note to mods-: maybe a build section?

I finally got to see my new Hilux on Tuesday. At first I thought they'd supplied a 2WD by mistake! As I walked up to it I counted 6 wheelstuds when I half expected to see 5.They are so low in the front it took me by surprise. I'd post pics but I'm sure everyone knows what a bog stock white dual cab chassis looks like. Well, stock apart from the dealer fitted snorkel, long range tank, canvas seat covers, dash mat, floor mats and window tint.

I crawled underneath it and finally got to see why spring and shock lifts are so popular. The front driveshafts were dead level.
Also had a good look at that jolly cab mount in the front wheel well. Now I can see what all the fuss is about. Good news is that 35"s on the back will clear the cab and will also fit in the spare tyre rack. That leaves all the work for the front.

I'm still not 100% sure I'll get the 35"s on so not ordering new rims and tyres just yet. I've got a couple of old 16x8 Mullins wheels that I had on an 80 Series and some well worn 280/85x16 tyres to play with first. I'll get some pics as we try to get them to fit.

The Detroit lockers and Trutrac have arrived. So too has the Scangauge, Ox hyd winch and front flares. Still waiting on some more goodies and then we'll start on the steel work.
Bull

Re: The Bull Build Up

Postby 9W6VX on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 9:13 +0000

Bull,

Looking forward to hear and see the pictures of your new Lux. Congrats .........

Good idea on the 'build section' since there are so many with their individual build progress ...... I'll bring it up with Dave......

Have fun ............
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 13 Mar 2009 6:06 +0000

About time Bull....been looking forward to your buildup since you started mentioning your plans.

What flares did your order for the front? You know you do loose abit of clearance with the sr5 style flares?

Flat rubber flexi flares would give you alot more clearance and sidemount ones would allow you to trim the quarter panel at the bottom-rear of the front guard and still kind of look ok.

On my to do list one day.Those 80series rims you gonna try on, they zero offset or -25?

if -25, just subtract that extra inch when doing measurements and go a zero offset when you buy rims.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Bull on Fri, 13 Mar 2009 7:48 +0000

I know the local TJM guys so they'll let me have a play with their fibreglass ones. It might be a big failure, especially if I carve into the front 'guard too much. Rubber ones are certainly more practical. What we really need is some Bushwacker ones.

The rims are zero offset.

I've ordered some 2" and 3" body lift blocks to play with. Have to decide which ones to use before we can start on the bullbar.
Bull

Postby Bull on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:34 +0000

I managed to spend most of last weekend on the ute, put the lift blocks in and test fitted the 35"s. Didn't worry about the 2" blocks, just went straight to the 3". No major dramas, the brake and fuel lines had plenty of length as did the handbrake and trans cable. One vacume line needed lengthening and an earth on the back of the transfer case needed turning around. The radiator was fairly straightforward, I didn't even pull it out. The plastic side straps come off with 3 bolts and I used 30x30 angle to mount them 75mm lower. There is a mounting tab on each strap that locates the radiator when installing and these had to be cut off. That's about it. Has to be the easiest body lift in history. The steering column extension had me stumped but I worked out how to do it on the flight home. The Marks 4WD steering extension is too short but if I make my own I should be able to get the uni in the right spot.
Had a good look around the front end and it has potential but with that welded in crossmember with the front diff and steering rack above it there's not much room to move anything. Any changes to bring the diff forward are going to be fairly major so I'll avoid that if I can. I might be able to move the hubs forward but the driveshafts angle forward allready so that'll just make it worse.
I started clearenceing the driverside middle cab mount before I ran out of time and with a bit of luck and pehaps some -10 or -15 offset rims it will be enough for now.
I was under the impression that the drop bracket kits droppped the front diff and kept the driveshafts level but unless I'm missing something all they do is drop the lower control arm. If they didn't allow for it on the upright extension, you would lose +caster. Of course to a lesser degree a spring lift will do the same thing.

Here it is how it rolled off the car-carrier.

Last edited by Bull on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 7:41 +0000, edited 3 times in total.
Bull

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:43 +0000

Looking forward to it bull......thanks for the write up.

The drop bracket lifts relocate the lower control arms lower aswell as the diff mounting point aswell so the CV angles stay the same as stock.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Bull on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:55 +0000

First things to go were the alloy steps and front bumper.
Starting to look a bit naked....

You can see how the front driveshaft angles slightly forward at full droop. I think at ride height it's pretty straight.

The 35" just fits on the rack. I will have to turn the shackles around though.
Last edited by Bull on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 7:45 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Bull

Postby Bull on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:59 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:Looking forward to it bull......thanks for the write up.

The drop bracket lifts relocate the lower control arms lower aswell as the diff mounting point aswell so the CV angles stay the same as stock.

How? The front diff sits on top of the welded in x-member. All the diff lowering kits I've seen are only 1".
Bull

Postby Bull on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:05 +0000

Edit: I finished putting the lift blocks in very late so apologise for the dark pic. I threw the 35s on the front to see how they looked before I went to bed. This is at ride height with the stock suspension. I'll put off getting the new springs until it's final weighed so I get it right.

This is at full bump (sitting on the bumpstops with the springs and shocks out on the floor)

Interestingly enough, with the 205R16 and coilover on one side and a 35" and no spring on the other side, the frontend sits level.
Last edited by Bull on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 4:12 +0000, edited 3 times in total.
Bull

Postby Bull on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:10 +0000

The tyre just rubs on the cab mount. Unfortunately it also rubs on the mudguard. Lucky it's only single skin so won't be hard to cut back.

The intake hose from the airbox to the turbo was too short but it looks like it was made to be cut up. It even has a couple of spots for hose clamps. This is on the ute now but it's about an inch too short so I have a longer stainless piece to replace it.
Last edited by Bull on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 7:50 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Bull

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:04 +0000

Awesome job so far Bull.. will be a bad arse toy when finished...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 1:02 +0000

Bull, regarding the diff drop kits, yeah you have a point with the crossmember....something you'd have to have a proper look at a kit installed.

dont forget the tyres need to clear at full compression and the wheel turned most of the way atleast.

by the way, the pictures you attached dont show up bigger when you click on them.....keen to follow your build.

are the pics with the bodylift fitted?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby tgibbo on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 4:54 +0000

bull are they 35 10.5's or 12.5's if the later thats nuts i test fitted some 33 12.5's and gave up straight away :D 35's would be even worse
tgibbo

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 7:15 +0000

The tyres bull has got are 285/85x16 Silverstone Muddies....35/11.3x16
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Bull on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 8:11 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:Bull, regarding the diff drop kits, yeah you have a point with the crossmember....something you'd have to have a proper look at a kit installed.

dont forget the tyres need to clear at full compression and the wheel turned most of the way atleast.

by the way, the pictures you attached dont show up bigger when you click on them.....keen to follow your build.

are the pics with the bodylift fitted?

I just re-read the Ultimate webpage and had another look at their pics now that I know what I'm looking at. If it does what it says it does then it's probably worth the money, "...provides a full 3.5" of lift, but overcomes the CV angle problem without any cutting, welding or modifying..."
Also, "...additional lower control arm drop cross members (including rear support braces) - replacement front diff relocating mounting brackets - replacement front diff rear mount - Adaptor and extension mount for top control arm - replacement steering rack rod ends to maintain full alignment adjustment - front drive shaft spacer adaptor..."
Maybe I'll have to buy a kit to find out how?

Don't worry, I'm not interested in tearing my tyres up on the sheetmetal.

Pics should be all fixed now.

Apart from the very first pics, the rest all show the 3" body lift in place. Still have to get longer bolts as I couldn't find out which ones I needed until I measured them. For the record, the cab is held to the chassis with 6 bolts, M12x1.25, that are 140mm long.
Bull

Postby Bull on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 8:19 +0000

tgibbo wrote:bull are they 35 10.5's or 12.5's if the later thats nuts i test fitted some 33 12.5's and gave up straight away :D 35's would be even worse

As Max said they are in between at 11.5"
These tyres are a compromise for me. I wanted to use Maxxis Creepy Crawler 35x12.5

Nothings impossible, it just depends how bad you want to do it. You have to get over the whole "cutting up a new car" issue and move on with "why wait until it's half worn out to make it the way you want".
Bull

Postby H20PRF on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 8:34 +0000

Bull

I have the ultimate suspension , would u like me to take some pics mate ? of the underneath ?

Cheers

Daz
H20PRF

Postby Bull on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 8:45 +0000

H20PRF wrote:Bull

I have the ultimate suspension , would u like me to take some pics mate ? of the underneath ?

Cheers

Daz

Hell yeah!
That would be much appreciated Daz.
I'd like to know how the front diff gets lowered, what happens to the steering rack, how your tailshafts been extended and what your driveshaft angle looks like from the front.
I reckon if your lower control arms have dropped straight down and not moved forward a little, you would have lost some positive caster. How is the straight line stability at highway speeds now? Is it a little more..."twitchy"?
Bull

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 6:45 +0000

Bull, I was wondering how that 35 was only just touching the bodymount when I first looked at it so little, but now that you mentioned it had a 3inch bodylift in those pics it makes sense.

even if you trim that bodymount you will not get full clearance lock to lock steering unless you fit a suspension lift aswell.

The ultimate or similar will be better because with the diff drop, your actually lowering the centre position of the suspension travel rather than just angling down the LCA's which will benefit you clearance wise with the back of the guard and that mount....hope that makes sense.

That thing will sit high when finished.....pity we couldnt get away with something like that down here in suburbs. :(
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 6:53 +0000

You know 4x4action is gonna be knocking at your door when this is done, just because its a new hilux and your doing things so differently over and abive what most of us can :mrgreen:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Member Build Ups