TRD - Blank Canvas

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

TRD - Blank Canvas

Postby Sideways on Tue, 24 Mar 2015 3:42 +0000

Hi all,

Been on here for a little while, great info and really helpful Forum members.
I've not posted much as I haven't had a Lux (until recently).
Have spent the past year building a fun offroad rig - a GU custom Dual Cab, 300kw stroker V8 with T700 auto, dual fuel with LPG injection, LR tanks, dual Eaton E- Lockers etc etc.
I've had an absolute ball with this truck - Simpson Desert trips etc. which has been great.....but as a daily driver.......

As you can imagine, it's a hoot to drive and sounds awesome, not to mention the attention it attracts.......but (yes, another 'but') the Minister For War refuses to drive it :roll: and to be honest, it is a tad aggressive for a daily work truck (or maybe I'm just getting old).

So, what to do?? Can't drive anything too asthmatic after owning that but still need a dual cab. Drove ALL the new ones on the market......yawn........
Then drove a mate's TRD - instant refresher on how good these are. Starting hunting the next day.
One mildly modded, low-ish km TRD now in stock.
Plans are: TRD cold air box, Hurricane headers and 3"exhaust, then stage 2 will be a pulley kit and chip. Oh, and some 17x8 '0' offset wheels with bigger AT's - the TRD rims are nice but needs something bigger with the 2" lift on it.
Drove back to Vic from NSW after purchasing, sat on 110kmh with AC on and averaged 10.1L (actual litres used, not what the computer told me) - pretty impressive!

Sad to see the "Beast' go but mightily impressed with the TRD - "Minister for War' likes it too but she's not allowed to drive it in 2WD in the wet :lol:

So, out with the old:

And in with the new :D :
Good drivers have dead bugs on the side windows..........
Sideways

Re: TRD - Blank Canvas

Postby mylux04 on Tue, 24 Mar 2015 4:30 +0000

Hi sideways the GU definitely looked like a weapon but wont take you long to get the lux up to speed ,oh and the old saying happy wife happy life you probably wont get her out of it now. Good luck.
Cheers Tony
mylux04

Postby TRDLuxxy on Tue, 24 Mar 2015 4:54 +0000

Nice mate!
TRDLuxxy

Postby Sideways on Tue, 24 Mar 2015 5:44 +0000

Thanks guys.
Yes, two very different beasts but the Lux is so much better as an all-rounder. I guess we all have to compromise in some way and you're right Tony, happy wife etc...... :roll:
Sideways

Postby Gulfstream8 on Tue, 24 Mar 2015 6:19 +0000

Such a good vehicle the TRD Hilux - your a lucky man to find one so clean and standard!

I would leave it the way it is ------------ nah what the hell check out Jap's red rocket :twisted:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6267

Here is a Video on the TRD Tacoma CAI in a TRD Hilux https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KG6Cr2AlDmU

And here is the TRD Tacoma CAI in a Hilux but on Newhilux forum viewtopic.php?t=7537

And here is the Performance 1GR-FE V6 index page on Newhilux viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7061&start=100

And here is an exhaust option for both power and better sound viewtopic.php?f=81&t=23730

Enjoy
Gulfstream8

Postby Sideways on Tue, 24 Mar 2015 6:44 +0000

Thanks,
I've had a good read through many of the threads so whilst I'm happy to squeeze a bit more out of it, it needs to be a good all-rounder. 1/4 mile times aren't my thing - more interested in how it tows my race car and boat.

When we're out bush again, I'll have to be more gentle - if I drive the Lux like the Patrol, it'll break. The chassis and front end simply won't take the beating the Patrol did.......but the plus side is the Lux is more nimble and probably a ton or so lighter :D
Sideways

Postby Ryanostrd on Wed, 25 Mar 2015 8:37 +0000

Looks good mate.
You never know where it will lead you once you start tinkering.
I started just wanting an exhaust and ended up with all billet pulleys, s/c pulley, chip etc etc but so happy with it now. Bit of suspension work and it keeps up with the big rigs in the rocks and leaves EVERYTHING for dead in the sand dunes / beach!
Oh by the way those side steps bend easy :D
"Ain't nothing like the fine whine of a supercharger"
Ryanostrd

Postby Sideways on Wed, 25 Mar 2015 11:31 +0000

Too true Ryano - the side steps are as good as gone already.

The things you learn after playing with a few different trucks (5 different dual-cabs over the years).
This time around, reducing weight wherever possible without compromising strength too much will be a very strong consideration with anything bolted or added to the Lux. Even the front bar will likely be changed to a custom tube type to reduce weight.
I really don't want to end up with a fat-arsed Lux - bone dry the Patrol ended up at 2.75T :shock:
By the time you load up for a trip like the Simpson, Cape etc you can be nudging 4.0T

While it's tempting to make it into a rocket sled, any performance gains are really just to mitigate the add-ons and give me better range on trips.
Long Range Automotive are getting a visit shortly for a nice big tank too :D

Cheers, S
Sideways

Postby Sideways on Wed, 06 Apr 2016 1:02 +0000

Truck looks a little different these days.
Custom alloy canopy (note, no tray - whole box mounts on two SHS rails - less weight!)
drop boxes, roll-out drawer, removable rack and built-in solar panel.
3" total lift with custom valved Bilsteins and massive custom rear springs (threw away the useless Dobinson rubbish)
4" Radius Engineering stainless snorkel into TRD CAI
MSA fridge drop slide, 2nd battery and DC charger from solar panel
180L air compressor mounted under canopy floor with permanent lines to front and rear of vehicle
145L Long Ranger Tank

Ningaloo WA
Pentecost River Crossing, Gibb River Rd
Dunes near Kalbarri
Sideways

Postby snakesoup on Wed, 06 Apr 2016 4:28 +0000

that last pic is awesome mate !!
snakesoup

Postby TOYZX on Wed, 06 Apr 2016 5:07 +0000

Nice air!
TOYZX

Postby Phil675 on Wed, 06 Apr 2016 7:15 +0000

Very nice, I missed an opportunity to buy a TRD and have kicked myself since.
Phil675

Postby rds_929 on Wed, 06 Apr 2016 7:26 +0000

what suspension did it have in the first pic ??
rds_929

Postby Sideways on Thu, 07 Apr 2016 8:15 +0000

Yeah Phil, I absolutely LOVE it.
Be aware though, if you drive one, you'll end up buying it! :D
I try turn my cars over every few years but I'm planning to hang onto this one - there's nothing on the market that comes close to the 'fun factor' of these things (yet).

RDS - it came with 3 mth old Dobinson kit when I bought the car - and it's complete and utter rubbish!
The rear springs were Dobinson also, supposedly 'heavy duty' 2" lift - I had to have the entire rear leafpacks rebuilt and added to in Broken Hill by Tremset (awesome fellas).
Front shocks were far too short on full droop and completely tore the shafts from the housings (BEFORE that last pic I might ad).
Had to limp into Broome and get new Bilsteins up from Melb. The only parts I've retained are the front springs - that's it, the rest's in the bin!
Wasn't impressed with the Dobinson stuff when I first drove it - terrible rebound and that was even with the stock wheels and tyres. Thank goodness I've got the custom-valved Bilsteins in it now - just wish I'd put it all in before our trip!
Sideways

Postby rds_929 on Thu, 07 Apr 2016 7:06 +0000

good stuff man thanks heaps
rds_929

Return to Member Build Ups