Steinbauer - The Facts and The Figures to Prove It!

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Steinbauer - The Facts and The Figures to Prove It!

Postby jimgoose on Fri, 08 Apr 2011 6:15 +0000

Hi all.
Finally got around to installing a Steinbauer to my Hilux. Power/acceleration is noticeable and i'd say the advertised 20% is about right. Easy install and runs perfectly so far. There is 1 thing that I'm dissappointed with tho and that is the fact that if you have the cruise control activated the module is not working as there is no input from the eccelerator pedal. This is a big one for me coz I use cruize ALL the time including when I'm towing which is the reason I went for a power up to start with. I've called Steinbauer about this and they said they may be able to take the throttle reference from somewhere else to get around the problem and will contact me Monday so fingers crossed they can come up with something. Generally tho seems like a great product. Very easy to install.

Just thought I'd let ya's know. :)

Mick.
jimgoose

Postby Drew on Sat, 09 Apr 2011 10:02 +0000

Good point mick, i havnt noticed it on mine when running cruise, but my cruise sends a signal through the pedal wire before where the chip plugs in. Hope they can sort it out for you, the stienbauer is great ive had mine for about 50,000kms now and great power and excellent economy its the best money ive spent.
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby jimgoose on Mon, 11 Apr 2011 6:33 +0000

Well the folks at Steinbauer got back to me today. After to speaking to one of there tech's I've sent it down to them to have the peramaters changed so it can take the reference it needs from the turbo boost wire (or something like that). The bloke said it will make it work all the time from then on with the only down side being that initial low down talk will be a bit slower to come on. bit of a shame but the whole reason i bought it was for extra power/torque at cruising speeds so no big deal for me. Should have it back in a few days so I'll report my findings :).

Mick
jimgoose

Postby ktruck on Wed, 27 Apr 2011 4:35 +0000

Whats involved in installing this unit yourself?

I'm looking for some more power to tow my tool trailer, if its easy I'll do it myself, otherwise I'll get my mechanic to install it when he does my exhaust.

And how important is it to dyno it?
ktruck

Postby D4DEVIL on Wed, 27 Apr 2011 7:26 +0000

It's a piece of cake. I have photos of step by step install if you want them let me know.
Basically you have an earth and power wire. Also a grey which you can install the on/off switch (optional), and the last wire goes on the pedal reference wire (blue/white) but test it with a multimeter to be sure.
Then you remove the Intercooler and plug it in between each injector/factory plug. Make sure you go back of engine to front. Mount unit last. I used heavy duty double sided tape.
D4DEVIL

Postby Drew on Wed, 27 Apr 2011 7:42 +0000

What he said lol just cut the switch wire lol why would you want to turn it off lol
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby D4DEVIL on Wed, 27 Apr 2011 8:13 +0000

if you cut the wire you have to put a switch on it. so leave it looped at the earth/12v end of the loom
D4DEVIL

Postby ktruck on Wed, 27 Apr 2011 8:29 +0000

step by step pictures would be great thanks.

I think I am going to install a switch, turn it off during engine warm up time or if I get a bit of a death rattle on cold start up (sometimes happens on mine on cold mornings, only 55,000km in too).

edit:also, who is the best to source it from in vic south eastern suburbs or closer in to the CBD.
ktruck

Postby Quinny34 on Thu, 28 Apr 2011 4:01 +0000

This chip stays of for the first 60 seconds anyway... no need for the swith really...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby freddy10_9 on Thu, 28 Apr 2011 2:19 +0000

Fitted Humex and Steinbauer last week supplied by crosssport and could not be happier. The service and subject matter expertise provided by crosssport was the best customer service that a lux owner or anyone as fussy as me could hope for. I did not know crosssport before enquiring about chips and exhaust 3 weeks ago, so I have nothing to gain by singing his praises,so in my opinion buy from him, you will not be disappointed. Freddy
freddy10_9

Postby ktm300 on Thu, 28 Apr 2011 5:37 +0000

freddy10_9 wrote:Fitted Humex and Steinbauer last week supplied by crosssport and could not be happier. The service and subject matter expertise provided by crosssport was the best customer service that a lux owner or anyone as fussy as me could hope for. I did not know crosssport before enquiring about chips and exhaust 3 weeks ago, so I have nothing to gain by singing his praises,so in my opinion buy from him, you will not be disappointed. Freddy

What sort of gains to you get Freddy. Iam still undecided to do the 2 mods .. Its not cheap .. Thanks
ktm300

Postby freddy10_9 on Fri, 29 Apr 2011 7:17 +0000

My lux is a 2010 D4D Auto, the first thing I noticed is how much easier it pulled off from a standing start, hardly any throttle needed and if you give it a bit it really stands up and takes notice, just so easy and effortless.Out on the road it responds with huge amounts of torque no more kicking back in the auto on hills that it used to, makes passing easy. When towing the float or cow trailer it's a different vehicle, does it easy. Fuel economy is slightly better,approx half a litre 100k's, but I'm driving it harder still having a bit of fun and probably will continue to do so.I know it's not cheap KTM, but it will make you smile a lot, and if you drive it the same way as before it will eventually pay for itself. As I said crosssport tuned up the steinbauer to the humex exhaust prior to shipping to me, he can do this because he has done the reseach and fitting to other lux's in his workshop.I spent months reseaching the safest and best combination's from all over the place including Europe.You will not be disappointed. And as Quinny said no need for a switch,if you buy from crosssport just leave it as it is. Freddy
freddy10_9

Postby ktruck on Sat, 30 Apr 2011 4:29 +0000

Well my mind is made up, Its on my shopping list, I cant wait to install it... :D
ktruck

Postby ktm300 on Sat, 30 Apr 2011 5:30 +0000

freddy10_9 wrote:My lux is a 2010 D4D Auto, the first thing I noticed is how much easier it pulled off from a standing start, hardly any throttle needed and if you give it a bit it really stands up and takes notice, just so easy and effortless.Out on the road it responds with huge amounts of torque no more kicking back in the auto on hills that it used to, makes passing easy. When towing the float or cow trailer it's a different vehicle, does it easy. Fuel economy is slightly better,approx half a litre 100k's, but I'm driving it harder still having a bit of fun and probably will continue to do so.I know it's not cheap KTM, but it will make you smile a lot, and if you drive it the same way as before it will eventually pay for itself. As I said crosssport tuned up the steinbauer to the humex exhaust prior to shipping to me, he can do this because he has done the reseach and fitting to other lux's in his workshop.I spent months reseaching the safest and best combination's from all over the place including Europe.You will not be disappointed. And as Quinny said no need for a switch,if you buy from crosssport just leave it as it is. Freddy

Thanks for your feedback . Does it work fine when you are using cruise control ?
ktm300

Postby freddy10_9 on Mon, 02 May 2011 6:34 +0000

Seems to be ok, but I don't need it on cruise because I only use cruise on the flat running.
freddy10_9

Postby jimgoose on Sat, 21 May 2011 9:45 +0000

Hey guys. Got the chip perameters changed to run from the turbo boost pressure wire so it will be active when cruise control is engaged and have had it in for about a week. It works great. I reckon you feel the extra torque really come in about 2250-2500 once the turbo has spun up abit. still playing around with it a bit but so far very happy. looking forward to seeing how it tows with me Jayco Expanda on the back.

Mick.
jimgoose

Postby jimgoose on Sat, 21 May 2011 9:46 +0000

Hey guys. Got the chip perameters changed to run from the turbo boost pressure wire so it will be active when cruise control is engaged and have had it in for about a week. It works great. I reckon you feel the extra torque really come in about 2250-2500 once the turbo has spun up abit. still playing around with it a bit but so far very happy. looking forward to seeing how it tows with me Jayco Expanda on the back.

Mick.
jimgoose

Postby deffer64 on Tue, 14 Jun 2011 6:12 +0000

Hi there all can anyone give me an idea what the EGT temp and what max Boost should be empty ,loaded and towing a tinnie i have a 2.75 in beau exhaust and Steinbauer chip set at 130 % Thanks to any who can help Cheers Deffer64
deffer64

Postby Chucky200 on Mon, 30 Jan 2012 1:45 +0000

bee08t wrote:Go the chip first, a friend of mine just sold his 07' he's got a new one on order, he had full 3" exhaust and a DP chip, wanting to keep these for his new hilux, pulled off the exhaust first, replacing it with the standed one while he advertised his ute, chip still fitted, two weeks of driving, and he cannot notice no drop in power, performance or fuel econemy. so he says the 3" exhaust is not going back on the new car.
Is it just me, for a $1000 3" mandrel bend exhaust I'd want to feel something. :arrow: :roll:
Then the chip was removed, big difference, big drop in performance. our test track tells the story, stand start at the corner to the 80 sign, not real accurate, but that's what we like to go by.
3" exhaust and chip set on 7 - 145k/h
standed exhaust and chip set on 7 - 145k/h
standed exhaust no chip - 124k/h.
So mate put ya money on the chip. :arrow: that's my 2 bob's worth.

just spoke to a Reputable Sydney Diesel Mechanic - they tell me the Steinbauer does NOT require the 3" exhaust to develop the quoted power and torque gains. Your mates test runs prove this to be true. DYOR guys but based on what the Mechanic tells me and the test done here, I will try the chip on its own without exhaust. Running BFG/AT the bloody thing is noisy enough as is!
Chucky200

Postby Hellbound on Mon, 30 Jan 2012 2:49 +0000

Running a chip with a bigger exhaust isnt just helping it make slightly more power, its helping to lowering the peak egt's by the letting more spent gas out of the turbo, which will harm your engine if you leave just leave it with a chip only....
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems