FAQ CHIP IT Diesel Performance Solutions Power Module

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: FAQ CHIP IT Diesel Performance Solutions Power Module

Postby CHIP IT on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 3:18 +0000

if people are trying to get a hold of me directly my email is robert@chipit.com.au or 0412 304030

Cheers

EDIT:
Last edited by CHIP IT on Tue, 03 Apr 2012 3:22 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
CHIP IT

Postby tcurve on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 5:24 +0000

Im still looking at cips for a 06 KUN26R, there are so many different ones and I remember someone saying somwhere that I should get one with 6 plugs I think and that doesnt increase the pressure, does this sound right?
What brands have the 6 plugs, DP Tunit, steinbauer???????
tcurve

Postby Blackie2008 on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 7:13 +0000

I wouldn't be too concerned about fuel rail pressures. If you go over the factory over pressure relief valve pressure it'll dump the pressure in the rail and throw you into limp mode. As long as your rail pressure isn't increased above that you'll still be operating within the manufacturers design limits.
Dan.

08' SR5 Dual Cab, Manual, Prado brake upgrade, 33" KM2's, DMS MR Rekon Stage II, MMKD, Stage 2 GTurbo, HPD FMIC, NPC Clutch, 360 UHD Gearbox...

Built, not bought

Build thread: http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic ... 41&t=15092
Blackie2008

Postby CHIP IT on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 1:18 +0000

tcurve, the 6 Pin refers to the 2 stage throttle voltage.

We have 6 pin plug chips.

Regards

Robert
CHIP IT

Postby tcurve on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 5:46 +0000

CHIP IT wrote:tcurve, the 6 Pin refers to the 2 stage throttle voltage.

We have 6 pin plug chips.

Regards

Robert

Ok so are the chip it and dp chips safe to run on a hilux without putting to much pressure
tcurve

Postby Hellbound on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 9:11 +0000

DP is not safe for our vehicles as it only changes fuel rail pressure as its only got one plug connector! It will spell disaster as some point in the vehicles life!
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby tcurve on Thu, 22 Mar 2012 9:51 +0000

Hellbound wrote:DP is not safe for our vehicles as it only changes fuel rail pressure as its only got one plug connector! It will spell disaster as some point in the vehicles life!

So what would you sugest hellbound
tcurve

Postby CHIP IT on Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:34 +0000

The pressure of the pump is never changed.

We need to know how the Common Rail (CR) fuel system works in order to understand what is happening with emulating the CR sensor signal

The pump on a CR engine is at max pressure at just over idle. The excess pressure that the engine does not need is redirected by a Solenoid (called a suction control valve by some manufacturers) back to the tank. When you ask for more power (throttle input) the factory ecu will move the solenoid and have move of the available pressure sent to the common rail so that the injectors have more pressure behind them. With this extra pressure the ecu provides more fuel into the combustion chamber for the given amount of time that the injectors are open. ie for the same opening times more pressure means more fuel in.

With CR chips, we tell the factory ecu to move the solenoid over a little more so that more pressure (that would normally be sent to the tank) is made availabe at the rail ... thus the injectors.

The system is so very precise that it allows great control and accuracy of fuel delivery. Similar to what ECUs did for petrol engines when they went from carby to multi point EFI. This greater control provides smooth and accurate power delivery. (except when the solenoid gets contaminated by shitty fuel as Mitsubishi experienced with theirs on the 3.2 litre Pajeros and Tritons.

Therefore the is NO EXTRA DEMANDS ON THE PUMP which companies like Steinbuaer love to tell callers if they ask the difference between a CR chip and injector style chip.

DIVERTING PRESSURES AVAILABLE is the name of the game. The injector rail and the injectors are made to handle these higher pressures. In fact we subjected our own vehicles to much much higher pressures that would be given to customers via the tunes provided just to see where the breaking point was ... we never found one !!! except for an injector seal when it was reused. The pump did not produce higher pressures that the injector lines etc could not manage.

Regards
Rob
CHIP IT

Postby Blackie2008 on Thu, 22 Mar 2012 7:45 +0000

CHIP IT wrote:The pressure of the pump is never changed.

We need to know how the Common Rail (CR) fuel system works in order to understand what is happening with emulating the CR sensor signal

The pump on a CR engine is at max pressure at just over idle. The excess pressure that the engine does not need is redirected by a Solenoid (called a suction control valve by some manufacturers) back to the tank. When you ask for more power (throttle input) the factory ecu will move the solenoid and have move of the available pressure sent to the common rail so that the injectors have more pressure behind them. With this extra pressure the ecu provides more fuel into the combustion chamber for the given amount of time that the injectors are open. ie for the same opening times more pressure means more fuel in.

With CR chips, we tell the factory ecu to move the solenoid over a little more so that more pressure (that would normally be sent to the tank) is made availabe at the rail ... thus the injectors.

The system is so very precise that it allows great control and accuracy of fuel delivery. Similar to what ECUs did for petrol engines when they went from carby to multi point EFI. This greater control provides smooth and accurate power delivery. (except when the solenoid gets contaminated by shitty fuel as Mitsubishi experienced with theirs on the 3.2 litre Pajeros and Tritons.

Therefore the is NO EXTRA DEMANDS ON THE PUMP which companies like Steinbuaer love to tell callers if they ask the difference between a CR chip and injector style chip.

DIVERTING PRESSURES AVAILABLE is the name of the game. The injector rail and the injectors are made to handle these higher pressures. In fact we subjected our own vehicles to much much higher pressures that would be given to customers via the tunes provided just to see where the breaking point was ... we never found one !!! except for an injector seal when it was reused. The pump did not produce higher pressures that the injector lines etc could not manage.

Regards
Rob

Ok, so what's happening when I go from custom 1 (folder 2) to custom 2 and as soon as I accelerate I go into limp mode with p0087 and p0191 codes?
Dan.

08' SR5 Dual Cab, Manual, Prado brake upgrade, 33" KM2's, DMS MR Rekon Stage II, MMKD, Stage 2 GTurbo, HPD FMIC, NPC Clutch, 360 UHD Gearbox...

Built, not bought

Build thread: http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic ... 41&t=15092
Blackie2008

Postby CHIP IT on Fri, 23 Mar 2012 6:08 +0000

the fuel rail limiter is coming off its seat. The tune that doesnt make that condition occur is the highest tune your engine can go to.
CHIP IT

Postby Hellbound on Mon, 26 Mar 2012 6:52 +0000

Geez i'd hate to be trying to over take a road train on a highway and have a code thrown and limp mode while "learning" how far i can push it tho, its bloody risky dont you think?

If there is no extra demands on the pump, and only the available stock level pressure is being diverted then why is there codes thrown at all?
Hellbound

Postby CHIP IT on Mon, 26 Mar 2012 7:09 +0000

If you wish to learn about the common rail system there's info out there. The pump is NOT working harder ... remember ... it is gear driven off the crank!!!

in most cases people are not going for MAX power. They are happy with best power vs economy
CHIP IT

Postby Hellbound on Mon, 26 Mar 2012 7:26 +0000

SO - if there is no extra demands on the pump, and only the available stock level pressure is being diverted then why is there codes thrown at all?
Hellbound

Postby 2alandvan2 on Mon, 26 Mar 2012 7:45 +0000

I have just done over 200,000km and chipped since 150,000km. I have had nothing but extra power and better economy. I have also had strut spacers since 60,000km with no problems.
2alandvan2

Postby CHIP IT on Tue, 27 Mar 2012 8:58 +0000

Hellbound, its beecause some of the "spare" pressure that was being diverted back to the tank now is sent to the rail. Denso have placed a limiter on there and it is THAT limiter that is coming off its seat.

However like I mention always on the Hilux / Prado / Land Cruiser you do not need to do this mod unless you wish to go past our tune 8 ie chasing power, not economy. It would seem that Toyota have asked Denso to place a bit more overhead (spring rate) in that limiter than other vehicles. ie Nissan GU Patrol will only give you 10% more power before it needs that limiter done. So figures touted around for that car by our competition for rubbish. If you don't do the limiter you get around 10% more torque before it goes limp. With the limiter we can go to 30 - 40% more.

However back to Toyota. without changing the limiter you can achieve 30% so no real need to fir the after-market one on.

If you get a LOW fuel pressure error, we can supply an earth strap for the chip which stops that code coming up. This is different from the error code above which is a fuel "leak" error code.

The voltages / signal (moreso the signal) that the factory ECU wants to see is very very fussy on some late model Hilux and Prados. But at least we have a fix for it. Others don't as yet!

Most vehicle will never experience this though
CHIP IT

Postby mow44u on Thu, 12 Apr 2012 7:56 +0000

With the EGT controlled moitoring, is the EGT's measured from bung on the dump pipe?

The reason I ask is that i have installed a 3 inch exhaust, and i plan to put on an Autron Gauge with Boost and EGT dispay, which will use the hole on the dump pipe. The next mod will be a chip, and if i decide to go a "Chip it" with the EGT monitoring, will my EGT gauge become useless If i go with a Chip it with the EGT monitoring?

I am aware that the Chip it has its own temp display and if both would work, I wouldn't be fussed.

Thanks

Pat
mow44u

Postby Mattya on Thu, 12 Apr 2012 8:16 +0000

Another question, is it best to put the EGT sensor in the manifold or after the turbo?
Im Always On The Edge, It Only The Sharpness That Varys.
Mattya
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hellbound on Thu, 12 Apr 2012 8:17 +0000

Maybe aswell do it all at once and use the dump pipe bung with the chipit setup and use their monitoring and gauge at the same time
Hellbound

Postby SR-5 on Sat, 28 Apr 2012 8:27 +0000

jus a quick Thank you to Chip it team.

Had my chip for almost 2 yrs and was extremely happy with the performance!. But i had a issue with the limp mode comin up randomly so i was discusing the problem with DPS, it ended up beening a faulty relay in the moduel. So i'd sent the moduel back and DPS and with in a week they gave me a updated plug and play version. No questions or excuse! :D

Love the customer servicer they provide. Keep up the good work guys. 8-)
SR-5

Postby harryh on Mon, 07 May 2012 9:17 +0000

So whats the cost of the chipit now with all the bells and whistles to make it work properly ie no limp home?
harryh

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems