FAQ CHIP IT Diesel Performance Solutions Power Module

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: FAQ CHIP IT Diesel Performance Solutions Power Module

Postby dirtyharry on Wed, 09 Jun 2010 8:56 +0000

My eyes are glued to this thread trying too decide whether to "Chip It" or stay stock! The EGT's are the only concern for me. I'd be concerned mostly only when i'm towing. I tend have a heavy foot too which may not help the cause!!
dirtyharry

Postby Lancair on Thu, 10 Jun 2010 8:15 +0000

On the difference in fuel consumption, Ive havent noticed much difference at all. I recently (last weekend) did a trip south, about 350k each way. One way with chip in and the other out. Not much differnce at all, 0.2 of a litre per 100km more with chip in. Temps were noticeably different though. Higher temps on pushing it hard up hills or overtaking with the chip in. And to be perfectly honest, intially when taking the chip out I noticed a small loss of power, esp overtaking or pushing hard but . . .

EGT taken after the turbo is of no diagnostic value my loacl diesel guy tells me. Its before the turbo that tells the best story. After the turbo its cooled significantly, and 430c is cool for a diesel EGT. Apparently stock D4D should be around 490 -520 before the turbo.

Lancair
Lancair

Postby rodw on Thu, 10 Jun 2010 8:27 +0000

Lancair wrote:EGT taken after the turbo is of no diagnostic value my loacl diesel guy tells me. Its before the turbo that tells the best story. After the turbo its cooled significantly, and 430c is cool for a diesel EGT. Apparently stock D4D should be around 490 -520 before the turbo.
Lancair

Can't see figures as being correct. I have seen EGT's over 600 degrees from the Stock D4D post turbo (no chip) on several occasions.
rodw

Postby Lancair on Thu, 10 Jun 2010 8:33 +0000

OK, Im only repeating what my mechanic told me on monday. Maybe he is misinformed.

I thought you told me that your EGT probe was pre turbo and that 650 was getting too hot ? ?

I think Im going to sell my chip as the vehicle is worth too much to me to be f##king with it without solid data. I had the death rattles going on, with the chip in, at highway speeds and at normal running temps on my trip south but didnt notice it at all with the chip out on the return trip. No rattle at start yesterday morning with chip out but this morning with chip in my little boy asked if the engine was broken :o :o :o
Lancair

Postby tonymtber on Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:41 +0000

With any diesel, 550 degrees POST turbo is considered a good safe level. Some people will push this out to 600 degrees but the higher you go the more stress & possible damage can be caused.

The difference between POST & Pre turbo temps vary from vehicle to vehicle, but can be as much as 150 degrees higher than post turbo (on some vehicles it can be as high as 200 degrees). Fitting an EGT pre turbo is preferred, but due to the modern design of vehicles, most probes are fitted post turbo. I think 720 degrees was considered the safe level PRE Turbo (cant remember exactly as I've always fitted my probes POST turbo).

With the tuning of any diesel, the correct air/fuel ratio must be maintained to keep EGT's at a safe level & with modern common rail engines, the ECU makes this a simple thing to do. With a simple chip installation & no other engine mods etc, you shouldn't have any probs gaining some good power with little or no change to EGT's. ;)
tonymtber

Postby CHIP IT on Fri, 11 Jun 2010 7:30 +0000

What we mean is that we don't start "tuning" until the NEXT load point. By starting the tune a little later the factory ECU was not looking for reasons to give issues.

End result ... engine starts just fine and does not take longer to fire up once the engine starts cranking.
CHIP IT

Postby CHIP IT on Fri, 11 Jun 2010 7:32 +0000

dirtyharry wrote:My eyes are glued to this thread trying too decide whether to "Chip It" or stay stock! The EGT's are the only concern for me. I'd be concerned mostly only when i'm towing. I tend have a heavy foot too which may not help the cause!!

Hi Dirtyharry

The whole idea of the Chip is that YOU DONT need to stay hard on the pedal for a long time. More power, down low is going to give you BETTER towing capabilities
CHIP IT

Postby CHIP IT on Fri, 11 Jun 2010 7:35 +0000

tonymtber wrote:With any diesel, 550 degrees POST turbo is considered a good safe level. Some people will push this out to 600 degrees but the higher you go the more stress & possible damage can be caused.

The difference between POST & Pre turbo temps vary from vehicle to vehicle, but can be as much as 150 degrees higher than post turbo (on some vehicles it can be as high as 200 degrees). Fitting an EGT pre turbo is preferred, but due to the modern design of vehicles, most probes are fitted post turbo. I think 720 degrees was considered the safe level PRE Turbo (cant remember exactly as I've always fitted my probes POST turbo).

With the tuning of any diesel, the correct air/fuel ratio must be maintained to keep EGT's at a safe level & with modern common rail engines, the ECU makes this a simple thing to do. With a simple chip installation & no other engine mods etc, you shouldn't have any probs gaining some good power with little or no change to EGT's. ;)

Hi Tony.

Thats why adding the extra feature of the MAP Mod our Chip affords, the ratios CAN be maintained. Good Point.
CHIP IT

Postby CHIP IT on Fri, 11 Jun 2010 7:50 +0000

Lancair wrote:OK, Im only repeating what my mechanic told me on monday. Maybe he is misinformed.

I thought you told me that your EGT probe was pre turbo and that 650 was getting too hot ? ?

I think Im going to sell my chip as the vehicle is worth too much to me to be f##king with it without solid data. I had the death rattles going on, with the chip in, at highway speeds and at normal running temps on my trip south but didnt notice it at all with the chip out on the return trip. No rattle at start yesterday morning with chip out but this morning with chip in my little boy asked if the engine was broken :o :o :o

Hi Lancair,

We are always here to help diagnose the problem as others can testify. Possibly your vehicle needs another tune.

We have NEVER had anyone saying what you are describing so it has to be something that is specific to your car.

I think I remember you menetioning previously some issues.

Please write to Justin (justin@chipit.com.au) so that he can assist.

Cheers
CHIP IT

Postby CHIP IT on Fri, 11 Jun 2010 7:53 +0000

rodw wrote:
Lancair wrote:EGT taken after the turbo is of no diagnostic value my loacl diesel guy tells me. Its before the turbo that tells the best story. After the turbo its cooled significantly, and 430c is cool for a diesel EGT. Apparently stock D4D should be around 490 -520 before the turbo.
Lancair

Can't see figures as being correct. I have seen EGT's over 600 degrees from the Stock D4D post turbo (no chip) on several occasions.

was the 600 deg in Fahrenheit ???

600 deg C, after the turbo, seems a little high from a standard build.

Remember, most stuff coming from USA is in F.
CHIP IT

Postby VMN on Fri, 11 Jun 2010 7:20 +0000

CHIP IT wrote:
rodw wrote:
Lancair

was the 600 deg in Fahrenheit ???

600 deg C, after the turbo, seems a little high from a standard build.

Remember, most stuff coming from USA is in F.

Definitely Celcius as my digital EGT can be programmed to display F or C. It also has a memory to record peak temps. I might add that to get to these temps you need a big hill, big load, a heavy foot and a very dangerous driving style! It is next to impossible to sustain the EGT at this level while driving. I sometimes wonder if my gauge is much more sensitive than a mechanical dial gauge and if a mechnical gauge would show these peaks my gauge locks in it's memory (after triggering an alarm at a user programmable set point).
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby CHIP IT on Tue, 15 Jun 2010 4:25 +0000

Interesting.
CHIP IT

Postby Alby on Fri, 18 Jun 2010 6:17 +0000

I fitted one of these chips a week ago. I have done about 600k with it doing city, expressway and country road driving. I am very happy with it, the motor feels stronger and more confident throughout the rev range. I have yet to tow or drive heavily laden but will do on the weekend so will see how it goes.

can't comment on fuel economy as I have never monitored it so have no basis for comparison.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby 2alandvan2 on Fri, 18 Jun 2010 8:17 +0000

I have still not heard an explanation for louder motor ticking sound? This has been experienced by a couple of people. I would like a response from you Robert.
2alandvan2

Postby Noidea on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 4:12 +0000

2alandvan2 wrote:I have still not heard an explanation for louder motor ticking sound? This has been experienced by a couple of people. I would like a response from you Robert.

As do i, i have the chip it chip and am wrapped with the performance gain but i do find the ticking noise quite annoying and has me worried. Can someone please explain what it actually is and if it is doing any damage at all to my engine??

Josh
Noidea

Postby CHIP IT on Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:42 +0000

2alandvan2 wrote:I have still not heard an explanation for louder motor ticking sound? This has been experienced by a couple of people. I would like a response from you Robert.

The ticking is the injectors. They are now injecting more fuel. It is quite normal but now this extra fuel is being injected lower in the rev range where it is noramlly quieter... but you shouldn't hear it at idle.

Cheers

EDIT
CHIP IT

Postby Noidea on Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:55 +0000

CHIP IT wrote:

The ticking is the injectors. They are now injecting more fuel. It is quite normal but now this extra fuel is being injected lower in the rev range where it is noramlly quieter... but you should hear it at idle.

Cheers

Should or shouldn't?? I dont hear it at idle so im guessing thats normal, how come it quietens down as the engine warms up as the injectors dont get lubricated by warming engine oil :lol: ?? As long as i know its not harming my engine in any way i can put up with the ticking until the engine warms up as the pros far outway the cons of your chip.

Josh
Noidea

Postby CHIP IT on Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:56 +0000

Sorry I EDITED the post. It would be strange to hear it at idle as we do not affect that part of the MAP.

If something is wrong with the injectors, and a fault appears (ticking is not a fault) then remove the chip and get yourself some new injectors courtesy of Toyota

Cheers

Robert
CHIP IT

Postby camwill69 on Wed, 23 Jun 2010 2:22 +0000

Who the f$%k is MMa??????
camwill69

Postby 4wd26 on Wed, 23 Jun 2010 5:41 +0000

Mitsubishi Motors Australia- defiantly a power boost/ gain for a Toyota engine ;)
4wd26

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems