DODGY INJECTORS

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: DODGY INJECTORS

Postby mack on Mon, 09 Jan 2012 5:35 +0000

Does anyone know if they can be removed and cleaned with a ultrasonic injector cleaner?
mack

Postby SRD4D on Mon, 09 Jan 2012 7:10 +0000

My car is in at "Westend diesel" now getting the injectors done,Ive delt with Tim and Dean they have been very helpful so far,I pick the car up tommorow so will let you know how it turned out.
Around $3k will get you, remove old,fit new injectors/seals and recode latest issue injectors.
Hopefully will sort my cold rattle/ping problem.
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby Hellbound on Mon, 09 Jan 2012 7:30 +0000

Please do let us know how you get on with it all mate...

How many km's on your rig just out of interest??
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

DODGY INJECTORS

Postby MarkYounger on Mon, 09 Jan 2012 7:55 +0000

06 200,000km I have a slight rattle but you never notice it of I let it warm up first. The worst I ever heard it was after parking facing sown hill for over 24hrs and I did not let her warm up enough. An uncle of mine recommended Seafoam a diesel treatment anyone heard of this. I am currently through half a tank of this treatment. Hopefully it will prevent future problems.
Check out my build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10969
MarkYounger

Postby matt1234 on Mon, 09 Jan 2012 8:01 +0000

My 07 with 120000kms is in at Toyota to get the injectors tested tomorrow, let's see how we go with a warranty claim hey
matt1234

Postby Hilux650 on Mon, 06 Feb 2012 6:34 +0000

I got an 07 and had it about 4 months now. I bought it with 151,000 K's and yes the injectors were noisy in the morning like a stone in a tin can.

I took her back to the dealership and complained seeing I just had the car under 3 months, and surprisingly they agreed to replace the injector and pipes for these new so called diamond tip injectors.

Picked her up a week later, and yeah the bad rattle in the morning is 95% less, but I still have that slight ping when under slight load taking off.

Do I think these new injectors will last... NO. You would at least think that brand new injectors and pipes would eliminate this pinging.

I dunno guy's but after having the 3.0 lt Di for 8 years and close 300,000km's on the clock, and not having any injector noise problem at all tells me one thing.... They don't make em like they used too.

And if I knew what I know now, I would not have bought it... would've stuck with the old Luxy.

Pretty poor on Toyota's reputation I would have to say..
Hilux650

Postby 07luxyTD on Mon, 27 Feb 2012 6:03 +0000

Toyota is a joke
i brought 07 2nd hand 6months ago with 115,000km on the clock and realised 3 days later had the "knock"
have taken it to 2 toyota dealers for testing and both say the injectors are within spec and nothing they can do!!! :(

If i had known woulda stayed away from them

does any1 know if i put a DP chip in if they would warrent the injectors if they failed
"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby hawkboy308 on Thu, 01 Mar 2012 11:39 +0000

found out something really interesting couple of days ago! injector faults are caused by the pump lacking pressure! my pump pressure at idle should be approx 33000kpa but only pumping 28000kpa problem gets worse at higher revs! fuel is not atomising correctly hence engine knocks! replace or recon pump and replace filter even fit a secondary filter in line and hopefully the injectors survive! reco engine with pump and injectors just set a customer back 15K!check for metal fillings in filters! if evident then drop tank and clean and clean fuel lines and rail.
hawkboy308

Postby wce05 on Thu, 17 May 2012 10:20 +0000

my injector pain continues, i got my 08 hilux in September last year with still a month and a half of toyota warranty left on it. i didn't notice the smoke at first but the cold rattles were shitting me.
i took it to melville toyota and they put their computer on it and said everything was within spec and told me it was normal for a diesel.
i lived with the rattles and the smoke for a while but the guys at work started a new nick name for me, james bond in the hilux.
in march i bit the bullet and took it back to them and had another whinge about it. after a cold start test they figured out the injectors were stuffed... really. they tried a warranty claim with toyota aust and came back with ' we will only pay for half". what a load of steaming bullshit. then i find out they didn't submit paperwork that i'd already been in before, within warranty period, with the same problem.
so i'm still waiting for an answer, 6 weeks later. how hard is it to say yes its stuffed, fix it, and i ring every 3rd day. may have to ring every day to annoy them. :evil:
will let you all know what happens.
wce05

Postby axeten on Fri, 18 May 2012 9:30 +0000

I'm still at a loss how i got my 06 model injectors replaced by Toyota (all under warranty) last year.

I'd recommend people looking at this http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/ConsumerP ... /index.htm

Contact them and discuss your situation. By law anything sold in Australia is covered by a statutory or implied warranty. This means that something that has failed before a "reasonable" time frame must be repaired or replaced by a manufacturer. For example, if a fridge has a 12 month parts and labour warranty but at 14 months the compressor just dies due to no fault of the customer, it should be replaced/repaired under warranty as an average fridge life would be expected to be at least 3-5 years. This is the reason i thought my injectors were replaced, as 128,000kms was not heaps and there have been known issues with the parts.

We had to deal with this warranty a few times when i was in retail but i'd talk to the guys at the link above to get all the facts.

Again, i dont see how Toyota can replace all my gear on a 6 year old car and then refuse or pay half on younger vehicles. I'd say if you get the facts and squeeze them a little they should replace the lot.

Good luck
Alex
axeten

Postby redirtlux on Fri, 25 May 2012 7:13 +0000

D4Dollars ,07 model 4x4 automatic and my one rattles when engine warms up with 4 new DLC injectors. Sounds like noisy tappets at 100k's /hour
Diesel man says yeah,some are worse than others ,not to worry bout it.
Great , that was a waste of money.
60,000 K car , not good Toyota, I'm pissed off.
Oh and water pump was leaking as well.
Sons old Hilux ,230,000 k's same clutch and never had a problem 2.7 petrol on gas all it's life.
Bottom line is this car has to get me to the tip and back in July and I dont mean the garbage tip.
If it fails it's job that is where it will be going, or replaced with another 4x4 and it wont be a D$D
redirtlux

Postby grogfrog on Fri, 25 May 2012 9:51 +0000

redirtlux wrote:D4Dollars ,07 model 4x4 automatic and my one rattles when engine warms up with 4 new DLC injectors. Sounds like noisy tappets at 100k's /hour
Diesel man says yeah,some are worse than others ,not to worry bout it.
Great , that was a waste of money.
60,000 K car , not good Toyota, I'm pissed off.
Oh and water pump was leaking as well.
Sons old Hilux ,230,000 k's same clutch and never had a problem 2.7 petrol on gas all it's life.
Bottom line is this car has to get me to the tip and back in July and I dont mean the garbage tip.
If it fails it's job that is where it will be going, or replaced with another 4x4 and it wont be a D$D

Hey Red,

Not sure of how reputable your mechanic is, but I must ask, 60,000 KLM & noisy? It sound to me like it might have been not only dodgy pre DLC injectors first up, but maybe a doddgy re-install? You may even have leaky injector seals if they were not replaced with new ones, perhaps they did not run the reflash on the new DLC Injectors. Are you sure they are the later DLC injectors?

Cheapest course of action to revisit this is to first simply drop the Oil & check the Oil Pickup screen, Look in the drain bung, If it is clogged or on its way, the seals on the old, & maybe new injectors could have been be leaking. I have heard some risk re-installation without new seals as well. Hopefully the screen mesh will be clear, so far this important check has cost you very little.

If the screen is clear, your injector seals may be OK, but the new DLC injectors I believe also required a Reflash. You need to ensure this is done. Go to a Dealer for this if you don't have a good contact on these injectors.

Hopefully at this point it will sound much better, If not.........

You may also need to have them check & adjust the tappet clearances if required. Particularly if it is noisy when warm. This involves Injector removal at the same so time so check the external injector condition again, if it is caked up past the o-ring you have had a leaker. try to ensure they are using new seals, ask to have a look at the ones they will install, they should look silver, not copper in colour.

To be sure, and to increase chance of a claim, you should go to a reputable Toyota dealer, If you have a dirty screen, make sure they record it on the Vehicle service record, You may have to pay now for a clean, but you may have a claim back later on because this is what is happening elsewhere in world.

SOme of the other boys more up on fuelling systems might be able to fill you in on injector service details.

Groggy
grogfrog

Postby wce05 on Wed, 30 May 2012 9:23 +0000

OK, update on the situation, TOYOTA finally agreed to pay for all the cost of replacing the injectors, so they should.
while it was in there they went looking for other things to fix... oh we've noticed that your clutch squeaks a bit.
that will be$1750 to fix.... ah NO, and also we found a small leak in your waterpump. that will be $650 to fix.... ah NO again.
at least they washed it.
wce05

Postby grogfrog on Wed, 30 May 2012 9:59 +0000

Hey WCE,

Did you check your Oil pickup screen for bockage? If not, I highly recommend you do it ASAP. Its related to Injector issues.

Grogy.

P.S., any questions on this, search forum +screen + clogging. heaps of answers in threads
grogfrog

Postby MarkYounger on Sat, 11 Aug 2012 8:08 +0000

ok, I know this has been done to death, but I just had the injector diagnostic done and Toyo tells me all four injectors are stuffed. The issue is they also tell me a number of other things are wrong including my fuel filter needs to be changed which I know I just changed recently. Here is the results from the test. I have seen yall refer to the +/-3 as being out of spec. But I am not sure I got the same diagnostic done. Maybe someone can explain me this.
The sheet is basically a instruction on how to do the diagnostic.
#6 says change te injectors whose value of inj. Vol. FB for idle is closest to value of the data without cuts.
To the left it is in order
Data without cuts
Cut 1
Cut 2 etc.
Or should o just say screw it and buy all four?
MarkYounger

Postby jimO on Sat, 11 Aug 2012 10:31 +0000

i have absolutly no confidence that the injectors in my 012 lux will last any longer that the last ones in my 07 lux(60000) even now with under 10 k on it it rattles around 2000 revs but it is quiet on cold starting
jimO

Postby Hellbound on Sat, 11 Aug 2012 7:09 +0000

MarkYounger wrote:ok, I know this has been done to death, but I just had the injector diagnostic done and Toyo tells me all four injectors are stuffed. The issue is they also tell me a number of other things are wrong including my fuel filter needs to be changed which I know I just changed recently. Here is the results from the test. I have seen yall refer to the +/-3 as being out of spec. But I am not sure I got the same diagnostic done. Maybe someone can explain me this.
The sheet is basically a instruction on how to do the diagnostic.
#6 says change te injectors whose value of inj. Vol. FB for idle is closest to value of the data without cuts.
To the left it is in order
Data without cuts
Cut 1
Cut 2 etc.
Or should o just say screw it and buy all four?

Deff replace all four, this isnt something you would want to muck around with in the future if you just did the three then the other one shits itself
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby MarkYounger on Sat, 11 Aug 2012 10:39 +0000

Yeah I guess that's what I'll do. I just hate spending that much $$$ on repairs. It will be better for the longevity of the truck anyway. So can anyone decipher the spread sheet toyo made me? I would just like to understand how bad they currently are.
MarkYounger

Postby troppy on Sun, 12 Aug 2012 8:05 +0000

Hi All,
I,m new to the forum, just wondering if anyone can recommend someone in Cairns you could trust to check & diagnose possible injector problems. Mine is a 2007 SR dual cab with 121000 km on the clock. I've had it for about 6 months now. I'm also thinking about getting a 2nd filter added.
Thanks
troppy

Postby pjtaylor03 on Wed, 15 Aug 2012 6:34 +0000

I have a July 2006 D4D and have never had a problem with anything (touch wood) apart from th airbag spiral cable which was replaced at no charge 2 years out of warranty.

I bought it with 38000km on it and it has now done 132000km.
Now from day 1 when it was cold it rattled at exactly 1300rpm when starting off. I told toyota this every time i got it serviced and they said it was normal for a common rail diesel. It still does it exactly the same today as it did then.

Now with all the posts about injector problems and replacements, Is there any 2006 (MY05) trucks out there that have good injectors or do they all have a limited lifespan.

Paul
pjtaylor03

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems