Q speed rated tyre on SR5. my quest for krawlers.

Need something to get you rolling?

Q speed rated tyre on SR5. my quest for krawlers.

Postby bee08t on Fri, 09 Apr 2010 9:05 +0000

Hi All, Can you guys tell me the loop hole i seem to have missed. As I would really like to run a set of bfg km2 [Q rated 160km/h] on my SR5. my problem is the tyre placcard states, tyres fitted to this vehicle shell not have a speed rating less then S [180km/h]. There is a lot of you guys on this site running Q rated tyres on SR5's I would like to know how you'se are doing this? Are you just not worried about insurance or is there a loop hole that I can't find? I've spoke to everyone I can think of in the know, Department of transport, insurance companys, road worthy inspectors, and I have first hand contact with insurance assessors, they come into the panel shop to assess jobs. And they all say it can't be done. 5 out of 6 tyre shops will sell me Q rated tyres and just say she'll be rite mate you should't be driving at 160 km/h anyway.
Insurance company's say - if its concederd road worthy we'll cover it.
Road worthy inspectors say - if its on the tyre placcard then thats what we go by, and if there's any discrepence we'll call the department of transport and Toyota Australia.
Department of transport say - what's on the tyre placcard must be obeyed.
The insurance assessor says - 109 load rating is fine, 31's in Qld fine, Q speed rating No Don't do it.
So do I just replace my tyre placcard with a SR one, or is there a loop hole I've missed?
Last edited by bee08t on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 8:30 +0000, edited 3 times in total.
bee08t

Re: Q speed rated tyre on SR5. my quest for krawlers

Postby Boof on Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:20 +0000

Mate give Ryano at http://www.fourbys.com.au a call he will know, there isnt too much he doesnt know about tyres.

*edit* its also worth noting the KM2 is just a BFG muddy the BFG Krawler is a completely different tyre and from my personal experience worlds apart. I would run MTZs over the KM2s everyday of the year. 8-)

Tourer/Daily Driver - 120 V6 Prado with some mods and some bling.
Boof

Postby rodw on Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:26 +0000

Mate if you look at the guidelines from QLD Transport, Offroad vehicles only need 140 km/hr speed rating. My recollection was that if you read the placcard very carefully, you only needed S rated tyres if you wanted to carry more weight on the front Axle for a bull bar and winch.

SR's also have the same conditions on the placcard so it won't help you...

Check the web links on my web site for a link to the document from QT. I'd go with the QT guidelines and fit them anyway. Show your insurance assessor the QT guidelines if you ever get queried on a claim. I can't see thay could knock a claim on that basis then.
rodw

Postby bee08t on Fri, 09 Apr 2010 7:18 +0000

Thax boof I just shot off a email to ryano.
rodw thax mate that is just what I was looking for, black and white proof beyond a dought that I can put Q rated tyres on my car. I have printed out that document from QT and will go down there on monday to find out why I've been steered away from these tyres. and to save confusion I'll pick that bloody tyre placcard off alltogether. Thax mate.
bee08t

Re: Q speed rated tyre on SR5. my quest for krawlers--now on

Postby bee08t on Thu, 15 Apr 2010 7:55 +0000

woohoo, krawlers are on, ok there km2 the krawler inspired tred pattern.
I did the rounds of everyone that said I couldn't run Q rated tyres with the printed out copy of QT document rodw pointed out [thanks mate] and needless to say none of them had much to say. about the km2's
they are a bit louder then I thought they would but still quite for a muddie, no louder then the snorkel sucking. I'm heading up cape york over anzac day week-end so I'll let you'se know what I think of them in the dirt and mud.
bee08t

Return to Tyres & Wheels