What tyres next?

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: What tyres next?

Postby Alby on Thu, 10 Sep 2009 7:47 +0000

I have the MTZ done 15,000 klms on them, 10,000 k of that was my trip to cape york.

Very happy with them, surprised how quiet they are and how well they perform on the black top (wet and dry)

I previously had the Cooper ATR that were obviously quieter but did not perform as good on or off road.

Cant comment on how long they will last though?
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby McSumWay on Thu, 10 Sep 2009 8:29 +0000

My MTZ's have 70,000k on them and still have around 5mm of tread left. They have been excellent and i would highly recommend them for the Hilux. As they have worn they have become slightly noisier but still more quite than other muddies. Chips and cuts but only from pretty aggressive driving on hard surfaces.

Just used them for my Simpson trip and they were even ok in the sand.

Probably the best allrounded Muddy. I wont bother with an onroad set of wheels and tyres on my next Hilux - they are good enough for general duties.
I have nothing good to say down here so I wont say anything at all
McSumWay

Postby Drew on Thu, 10 Sep 2009 8:57 +0000

Hey quinny, most is beach and sand work running pressures as low as 12psi with the rest on dirt and rocky tracks, and mud in the wet season. But i have done alot of tar work with a few trips down to newcastle from up here almost 2000kms in one day each time each way. Its prety spread out up here, 4 1/2 hrs each way to visit a mate and 3hrs to and from work every 4 days adds up lol. Each time i adjusted the front end when i was setting it up i had a wheel alignment done... best 50 bucks youl spend i rekon, i dont bother rotating. A mate has the mtz on his patrol and every 2nd lug is half the height of the others, too lazy to get a wheel alignment lol
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby SR5LUX on Fri, 09 Oct 2009 1:19 +0000

Ive gone with the MTZ got a good deal on them, fingers crossed there as good as everyone makes out ;)
TYRES ARE LIKE TITS THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH THEM THE BIGGER YOU WANT
SR5LUX

Postby Jack S on Wed, 14 Oct 2009 2:35 +0000

any one with information on the ATZ 4-rib??

I do mostly on-road stuff and just looking for a good, quite, long lasting tyre that will stand up too just a little off-road work now and again!
Jack S

Postby Marshwa on Wed, 14 Oct 2009 2:55 +0000

i'm running 4 ribs, so far can't complain about on road or offroad ride, goes great on both. Good it sand doesn't bog down as much as the mtz's and loose rocks i could easily follow any tracks mates with mtz's could do. If it rained for once in rocky i would be able to tell u how they go in the wet and mud but no luck so far this year hahaha.

One thing i noticed however is mine are chipped a fair amount just after around 5000 km's, but i don't believe my wheel allignment was done correctly and i've done a bit of real rocky rutted tracked without airing down, so that explains that i guess.

I only notice the noise when i have my windows down or turn my radio off haha, and even then it isn't loud enough to bother me the slightest. Just my 2c
Marshwa

Postby Jack S on Thu, 15 Oct 2009 6:20 +0000

okay than cool, thanks for the info!
But i always have my radio on no matter what so bit of noise wouldnt worry me!

so for more on-road usage what tyre would be more remomended, the ATZ 4-rib or the FC-II ??

because have been tossing up between these and have been told probly the ATZ but wanted to see what others think and have been running....
Jack S

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 15 Oct 2009 9:03 +0000

Added to list on the quick reference thread finder.
Cheers
Skog :D
Skog07

Previous

Return to Tyres & Wheels