Tips for sand /beach driving

Tips for sand /beach driving

Postby kyle300exc on Sat, 04 Jun 2011 2:19 +0000

Thought I would throw this out there for anyone intending on going beach or sand driving. It would be good to get some advice from some pros rather than just opinions. The main reason is Ive smelt a lot of peoples clutchs burning including my own at some points, on Stockton Beach even know of a fella burning his clutch completely out on Stockton.
This is what I know: tyre pressures between 8 and 14 psi - check occasionally as the pressure can increase with the heat due to friction.
for soft sand low range is better---- not sure if travelling say in 5th low is harmful for the vehicle--please comment?
Autos are better suited on sand as no momentum is lost on gears changes.
Beach driving is a lot more dangerous than given credit for as mounds and holes can arise very quickly. Due to the sand camoflaging them often not seen till the last minute.

Guys please add to this, collectively it may save atleast 1 clutch.
Also know of a fella who hit a mound sheared his fan blades off. He drove the car further till the temp rose so stopped. Turned out he mislodged the radiator from bottom mounts causing coolant to leak out (which he didnt realise) He cooked the head and total damage plus towing was just over $4500 and still got out of cheap.

Kyle
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Re: Tips for sand /beach driving

Postby bern5 on Sat, 04 Jun 2011 8:58 +0000

I found it better to travel in h4 around the dunes, but when I did get stuck l4 got me out of the hole but was a fine balance between too much torque and digging in.

Keep your momentum up.

Some other tips.
Park your car pointing to the ocean.
Check the tides and times
Watch out for creeks running to ocean (deep hole)

I'm no pro though :geek:
We Hunt, We Fish, We 4WD, We Vote .... This is Australia.
bern5

Postby djyates on Sat, 04 Jun 2011 9:22 +0000

Tip #1- pack a long handle shovel
Tip #2- pack a snatch strap
Tip #3- take a mate (either another vehicle for tip #2 or passenger to use shovel in tip #1)
Tip #4- get out & enjoy yourself.
djyates

Postby tidal on Sun, 05 Jun 2011 8:13 +0000

15-17psi & low range. My poor Hilux just goes down the beach twice a week.

Start in 3L & straight into 4L and it goes anywhere without fuss.

If you’re a your a young bloke you will probably need high range so you can get there at 100mph & miss everything on the way but on flat ground high range is fine with let down tires.

Get some defaltors like in the link below. Screw em on start driving, stop and pull em off 200m down the track. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tyre-Deflato ... 4aab7482c8

If you get stuck go down to 10psi.

If your still stuck at 10psi ring up one of those container helicopters to pick you up.
Rod

If you can’t fix it with a hammer you’ve got an electrical problem...
tidal

Postby FODFA on Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:01 +0000

Certainly no pro as I live a long way from the beach, A friend got some advise from some locals once when his Nissan Patrol was hopelessly bogged with the incoming tide lapping at the back wheels. 4PSI and it drove straight out (not safe for speeds above walking pace though)

Oh and take some MAXTRAX along with the things others have suggested.

I would normally start in High range but I drive an auto (prado) my old 2.4 oiler in the lux doesn't have the power to turn the wheels in sand :roll:

Cheers Andrew
FODFA

Postby Krat on Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:47 +0000

I'm not an expert, but I have done years of beach driving. I have been bogged (but who hasn't) and I have totally destroyed a clutch with pieces ending up in the starter motor and stopping the motor from turning over.
A shovel is the first thing in the ute, always travel with a helper if in unfamiliar places(you can always blame them if something goes wrong), check the tides and talk to others about the sand conditions.
Tyres down to 15psi to begin. I have seen one driver screw the valves out and just put the caps on to keep the sand out of the tyres to get out of trouble.
Low range 3 seems to be the best for me. High range killed my clutch so I don't go there anymore unless on firm, flat beaches.
Momentum is the secret, you must keep moving in the soft stuff.
If you stop, it's game over.
Experiment on the safe stuff away from the water first and get some experience, and then have a go on the soft stuff with others till you become confident.
Remember, when you turn the front wheels sharply in the sand they just bury, you need to think ahead and work out your plan of attack.
If in doubt, don't keep going into the unknown, it just gets worse.
That's my two bits worth. Hope it helps.
Krat

Postby Glenn k on Sun, 05 Jun 2011 3:06 +0000

always go straight up or straight down a dune, never try to go across a dune

if you lose traction, stop straight away and try reversing out. it doesnt always work but you can sometimes reverse out on the sand that you have just compressed without any problems

if all else fails, make sure you have plenty of water, its thirsty work all that digging

due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice !
Glenn k

Postby asmo on Sun, 05 Jun 2011 3:24 +0000

Maybe obvious but the clutch will only get wrecked from slipping

It only slips to take off ( or if its nearly stuffed before you get on beach)

So to take off in soft stuff use low range and drive till a harder better area then use High if you like. Get your foot off the clutch quickly without dropping it.

Use High range if the conditions arn't too bad and the ute's not struggling.
I wouldnt use 5th gear low but 4th is ok. If your in 5th low you should be in high range.

If you hit sand and if stuffs your radiator / Fan blades then its your own fault, slow down..

The other advice is all spot on and use less braking (if any) to stop as you just dig a hole and make it hard to go again.

Pick your spots to stop IE: hard looking area or on a slight down sloap.
Thrashin and bashin, ends in crashin. :P
asmo

Postby helmut79 on Sun, 05 Jun 2011 3:41 +0000

From an Autos point of view and I’m no expert just a Mushroom: -
• Make sure you have truck cooler for your auto, as they work hard and over heat all the time . I have a chip and it works the auto hard.
• I find High range is better in an auto as i only use 1st and 2nd to lock the box in a gear. I use low when in soft sand or bogged.
• I live about 15 mins to Stockton and it is a soft sand beach get your PSI down low (12 – 15 psi) and if still struggling drop even further
• Always drive straight up and down dunes
• Be careful of your speed as drifts and holes can form anywhere
• Try not to use the brakes to stop let the sand slow you down as braking can cause you to dig in

Most of all have fun and use your common sense.
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby Nathans355 on Sun, 05 Jun 2011 4:23 +0000

Because most of you guys have covered most things i'll only recommend one thing, and that's a good set of polorized sunnies. On a sunny day they make a massive difference to what you see compaired to not wearing them. You can see all those little pinches and drop offs. I left my sunnies at home and was just wearing tinted safety glasses from work that i had laying in the car, i was only doing about 40-45k's and i found one of those drop offs. The only thing is i didnt realise till i hit the bottom about 3mtrs down. Got out to check and find out what just happened, there were no tracks behind me and a big hole infront of me where i landed the lux on its nose. :shock: :oops: Lucky for me i was insured because they wrote it off.
Nathans355

Postby bern5 on Sun, 05 Jun 2011 4:48 +0000

Guess that's another tip, if you don't see other people's tracks then it could mean danger.
bern5

Postby EASTCOAST on Sun, 05 Jun 2011 5:09 +0000

If you freak out and want to stop.......... Head up hill as far as possible before stopping......................
Its easier to pull a bogged 4x4 out down hill than up hill and the higher you are the less chance of getting wet.

If you stop and get stuck on the flat near the water and the tide is comming in the most important thing to do is make sure your insured...
******If you can ignore it its not a real problem******
EASTCOAST

Postby philw on Sun, 05 Jun 2011 7:16 +0000

Maybe I missed this one but to add my bit

When tyres down in the 12/15psi range, never turn the wheel sharply otherwise you may roll the tyre off the rim. Keep turns gentle and speed low.
Also once watched a guy try to drive out of soft sand while bogged. Rather than going forward, he only traveled down till he was in danger of sitting on his subframe. If reversing out is not possible or doesn't work, get out and scoop the sand from in front of the tyres and then slowly (in low range) drive out. Works almost every time.
And just remembered another.... Never..never stop your car on the sand that has water flowing over it. I did once... Had been told not to but while driving over a creek flowing onto the beach, had a brain dysfunction :oops: and stopped to check if the creek was fresh or salt. Had to be winched out. :lol:
philw

Postby kyle300exc on Mon, 06 Jun 2011 10:24 +0000

Good advice guys, I like the polarized sunnies to, think Ill grab a pair before I head out next.
I think the common theme throughout these comments in regards to helping your clutch out is not to be afraid of using low.
Now we just have to hope someone reads these comments before heading out.

Thanks
Kyle :D
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Argon on Mon, 06 Jun 2011 10:38 +0000

I usually put it in two wheel drive for long stretches of hard sand.
Argon

Postby hylux on Mon, 06 Jun 2011 3:24 +0000

I always say Stockton beginners try belmont beach first. It has a little of everything and you always have someone around to tow you out, which is pretty easy around the area. Most of the time you are only 10minutes walk from civilisation. Just avoid the top of the Lagoon near Redhead. And its free access.
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby bern5 on Tue, 07 Jun 2011 7:19 +0000

EASTCOAST wrote:If you stop and get stuck on the flat near the water and the tide is comming in the most important thing to do is make sure your insured...

lol !! maybe a sat phone just in case your away from it all so you can call AAMI and arrange insurance :lol:
bern5

Postby EASTCOAST on Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:14 +0000

Off the topic but can you insure a car with two or more company's....
Like life insurance you can have heaps of polisy's....

Or did i just have a brain fart???????????????
******If you can ignore it its not a real problem******
EASTCOAST

Postby Drew on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 10:10 +0000

8 psi is very very low. Like other said i always go to arround 18-16psi first that is mostly fine, if i need to go down its usually only to 14-12psi at the lowest. Anything under 20psi is a risk of rolling a tyre off the rim and rolling (see all the back packer deaths on fraser)

Tyre pressure is the key, all the vehicles ive pulled out or laughed at lol have way too much air in their tyres. Most of the time i go over let their tyres down to 15psi put it in low range and they continue driving forward. Let them down before you get stuck and take it easy when cornering.

And when the wind is blowing you get and optical illusion which makes the surface look flat but can hide ridges and gullies so watch your speed.
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby hylux on Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:42 +0000

EASTCOAST wrote:Off the topic but can you insure a car with two or more company's....
Like life insurance you can have heaps of polisy's....

Or did i just have a brain fart???????????????

You will think it stinks when both insurance companies ask for the wreck back - then void both policies.

Life insurance they dont ask for the bodies back
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks