How to clean the D4D intake and EGR sytem

Re: How to clean the D4D intake and EGR sytem

Postby bortho on Thu, 24 Mar 2011 1:58 +0000

freddy10_9 wrote:
bortho wrote:i done reading up recently about blocking them off rich, i'll be cleaning mine out and blocking it off very soon. i just picked up my chipit module and EGT from the post office and called chipit today to order the block off plate for the EGR

Has anyone blocked the EGR off at the head without a chipit chip fitted and not had it throw a code and go into limp mode

my plate arrived just this arvo, i should be fitting it up over the weekend. i will disconnect the chip, run it give it a good workout and let you know if it come up with any errors or goes into limp mode mate. i'll reply prob sunday night on here with what i found out.

Ian
bortho

Postby dermy on Thu, 24 Mar 2011 5:06 +0000

I need to remove my intake manifold for cleaning would anyone be keen to help not really confident enough
dermy

Postby Jack S on Thu, 24 Mar 2011 5:12 +0000

my plate arrived just this arvo, i should be fitting it up over the weekend. i will disconnect the chip, run it give it a good workout and let you know if it come up with any errors or goes into limp mode mate. i'll reply prob sunday night on here with what i found out

Mate if your able to get some pictures and post them up of the install process, and what you have to do to the plate to make it fit!
All that would be awesome, ive been meaning to get one, just havent gotten around to it yet :?
Jack S

Postby bortho on Thu, 24 Mar 2011 5:27 +0000

Jack S wrote:
my plate arrived just this arvo, i should be fitting it up over the weekend. i will disconnect the chip, run it give it a good workout and let you know if it come up with any errors or goes into limp mode mate. i'll reply prob sunday night on here with what i found out

Mate if your able to get some pictures and post them up of the install process, and what you have to do to the plate to make it fit!
All that would be awesome, ive been meaning to get one, just havent gotten around to it yet :?

hey mate pics are not possible now, my dad and i fitted it up at 6:30 tonight. i did have to nick a couple corners off the plate with snips to guide it in around the 2 studs out of the head. my one had the 8mm hole in the middle of it which allows a small amount of gas to flow through which i'm guessing prevents error codes coming up.

i took it for a drive with and without the chip, gave it good go without the chip to see if any errors came up. there were no errors at all guys so don't be afraid to purchase one without a chip installed.

performance wise, its kind of hard for me to tell, i'm a plumber and have racks, toolboxes up both sides of the ute, trundle tray and a tube up top lol. all the weight from that you can't notice a difference. if you don't have much weight in your car you might feel a difference.

i'm still going to clean mine out though just so i know no carbons could be drawn into the inlet.

hope this helps guys,

Ian
bortho

Postby Jack S on Thu, 24 Mar 2011 5:36 +0000

Any chance you could make up a little picture and show/display what corners you shaved off etc....?
Jack S

Postby bortho on Thu, 24 Mar 2011 6:12 +0000

Jack S wrote:Any chance you could make up a little picture and show/display what corners you shaved off etc....?

yep, all sorted mate. hope fully i load it up correctly, if not i'll put the link up.
bortho

Postby Jack S on Fri, 25 Mar 2011 5:09 +0000

So basically drill a hole in middle, which chip it recomend I am guessing??
Cut out a section above/around both bolt holes.
Make 2 slits from inside hitting the bolt holes...

Thanks heaps for that man!!
Jack S

Postby MADDOG on Fri, 25 Mar 2011 5:45 +0000

Jack S wrote:So basically drill a hole in middle, which chip it recomend I am guessing??
Cut out a section above/around both bolt holes.
Make 2 slits from inside hitting the bolt holes...

Thanks heaps for that man!!

Jack, the hatched areas are already removed when you recieve the plate so it already has the centre hole. The red dashed line is where bortho cut the corners off the plate to assist in gettting the plate over the studs.
MADDOG

Postby freddy10_9 on Fri, 25 Mar 2011 8:56 +0000

Thanks Bortho , I really appreciate you trying this.The reason is that when I make a mod I like to know what difference it makes as opposed to multiple changes and not really knowing what did what, Regards Freddy
freddy10_9

Postby Jack S on Sat, 26 Mar 2011 5:53 +0000

Yep, thanks maddog!
I am picking up what your putting down now...
Jack S

Postby MADDOG on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 8:01 +0000

I did mine last Saturday and went as far as Luxative did. Mines an '06 and the EGR valve looked just like Luxatives. Oily.
Mines not smokey or using oil either so likewise I'll just watch it.
MADDOG

Postby ssdsibes on Sat, 04 Jun 2011 11:20 +0000

Woke up this morning and thought I'm bored, so why not take the EGR/elbow off and have a bit of a look.

My ute is 07 with 94,000 km's

Followed Steve B's instructions on here which where good, but have a couple of points that were a bit hard

1, getting the back bolt out from where the water pipe goes near the elbow, had to use a mini socket ratchet to get it on the bolt, I couldn't seem to gett a spanner to it.

2. getting the 10mm bolt on the drivers side below the heat exchanger, bit of swearing going on with it.

Was pretty amazed at the crap inside the EGR and elbow. The inlet on mine should come of but not ready to go there yet. Will clean as much with a vacumm to suck it out as i scrape it.

Sorry pictures are massive, will try and make smaller

Image[/img] Elbow

Image EGR

Imagejust crap from elbow

Imagetop of inlet

Imageboth apart

Sam
ssdsibes

Postby Hellbound on Sat, 04 Jun 2011 12:21 +0000

Wow thats alot of crud! For those of you who have taken apart the egr throttle inlet ive got a question for you. Theres a valve thats actuated inside the egr cooler box i think that send the recirculated gas back into either the throttle inlet or the bypass inlet, my question is that there this valve is actuated by the vacuum line that runs into the disc shaped dookickey that has a long steel rod coming out of it that moves the inner valve from closed to open. Does anyone know which way the rod moves in relation to the valve being open or closed?

As in when the rod is moved towards the front of the car, does this inner valve open to allow the gas to go through to the inlet, or does it close and the gas goes through to bypass the inlet? Anyone!
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby ssdsibes on Sat, 04 Jun 2011 3:07 +0000

ssdsibes wrote:Woke up this morning and thought I'm bored, so why not take the EGR/elbow off and have a bit of a look.

My ute is 07 with 94,000 km's

Followed Steve B's instructions on here which where good, but have a couple of points that were a bit hard

1, getting the back bolt out from where the water pipe goes near the elbow, had to use a mini socket ratchet to get it on the bolt, I couldn't seem to gett a spanner to it.

2. getting the 10mm bolt on the drivers side below the heat exchanger, bit of swearing going on with it.

Was pretty amazed at the crap inside the EGR and elbow. The inlet on mine should come of but not ready to go there yet. Will clean as much with a vacumm to suck it out as i scrape it.

Sam

Scraped away as much as possible from inlet manifold and vacuumed what i could.

Went back together OK and when I started it, I did get a bit of smoke out the exhaust with some taps on the throttle.

It seemed to have a bit more response when revving with the chip off, could just be in my head, but with the chip & sprint booster on, its got some getup.

Now for a bourbon

Sam
ssdsibes

Postby DavidsLux on Sat, 04 Jun 2011 7:29 +0000

Just done my EGR and inlet manifold. Boy was it blocked, 84,000kms. I have done mostly long distance running at 100-110kms. This is a real problem, I was gob smacked with how blocked the intake was. Ended up removing the manifold and cleaning the lot. I have a suspision that the problem with the injectors is that there is so much carbon and oil residue going through the intake manifold into the combustion chamber, Toyota have fueled up the injectors to burn all the carbon and oil that is in the manifold. This would possiably be the cause of the knocking when cold form the rear injectors.
It was worse than i expected to find. In previouse life I was a service tec and then service manager in a toyota dealership. Toyota should be ashamed of this problem, it's hard to put your finger on the problem as the blockage craps up getting worse and worse, a bit like when you replace the shocker and realise just how bad they were.
I had forgoten just how much fun my hilux was to drive when it was new. I am going to also put some injector cleaner into the fuel system, past due.
I have taken some pictures, but I have no idear how to put them into my post, blockage is worth while seeing, agian I was blown away with the extent of the carbon deposits.
I have just purchased a new Mazda CX7 wagon diesel, it is the next step on as far as diesels go , meets the new EU standards. Runs blue fluid that is injected into the exhaust manifold and cleans up exhaust emissions. Blue fluid is based on Urea some of the latest mid size trucks from Europe now also have this too. has a 15l tank in the back next to the fuel tank, if the tank runs dry then the ECU goes into "Limp Home mode", also can only be reset by dealer. Possiably be coming soon to Toyota diesels to comply with Euro standards?
Last edited by DavidsLux on Sat, 04 Jun 2011 8:05 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
DavidsLux

Postby Jack S on Sat, 04 Jun 2011 7:48 +0000

Mmmm my D4D has recently clocked over the 80 thou, I might have to get around to this cleaning mod, take the day to strip and clean and have a good look at it all. Doing this might also give me back some of my fuel economy if it's that blocked up!!....
Jack S

Postby DavidsLux on Sat, 04 Jun 2011 8:11 +0000

I hope so Jack, as my fuel economy is getting worse and worse + the engine sound so much better since the clean out. Very little diesel knock now at idle.
DavidsLux

Postby Hellbound on Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:21 +0000

So does anyone know if they egr butterfly is open or closed at idle?
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby sirlux on Mon, 06 Jun 2011 3:24 +0000

Thanks for posting this mate, I've just hit 120000 so mine
Would be clogged up quite badly I'd think.
Cheers Ronnie
sirlux

Postby sirlux on Tue, 07 Jun 2011 5:59 +0000

Excuse my lack of knowledge, if that build up was to
Come loose whilst assembled where would it go and
would it cause Damage????
sirlux

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks