Re: How to clean the D4D intake and EGR sytem

Postby xtralux on Sun, 12 Jun 2011 2:14 +0000

just thought i would show some pics of how dirty mine was,
i have a 2007 sr5 and its done 120k

ps thanks for the guide..... :)

xtralux

Postby hdlux on Mon, 13 Jun 2011 9:59 +0000

I cleaned mine out today,2005 sr 120k no soot but was a little wet with oil, intake manifold hade a little soot,well more like gunk,but not worth taken it all apart.
thanks for every ones help !!!!!!
hdlux

Postby Krat on Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:31 +0000

Hi all.
I'm looking to do this one shortly.
Can someone give me an idea of how long it takes to perform for a very careful handyman (without removing the manifold) on an 07 model.
Also, does leaving the battery disconnected for an extended period cause other problems other than the radio code.

Thanks,
Kev.
Krat

Postby ssdsibes on Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:45 +0000

Krat wrote:Hi all.
Can someone give me an idea of how long it takes to perform for a very careful handyman (without removing the manifold) on an 07 model.
Also, does leaving the battery disconnected for an extended period cause other problems other than the radio code.

Thanks,
Kev.

I did mine just to the elbow (an 07) and took my time and was finished mid arvo, that included cleaning and vacuuming as much of the inlet that i could. Give yourself a day and you'll have time for a couple of beers in the arvo.

Sam
ssdsibes

Postby xtralux on Tue, 14 Jun 2011 1:52 +0000

ssdsibes wrote:
Krat wrote:Hi all.

Thanks,
Kev.

hi Kev,

i did my 07 on sun arvo, it took a couple of hours most of the time was cleaning. well worth the effort. i prob spent more time attempting to find the security code for stereo, ha ha attemt number 9 after googling i fount out( last 3 digits of vin).

good luck. now get onto it.

matt
xtralux

Postby Krat on Wed, 15 Jun 2011 8:58 +0000

Had a quick look this morning. But could find no reference to removing the large pipe from the intercooler on the drivers side.
Maybe I just don't understand what it's called.
Picture attached.[img]
I have gone no further than looking and trying to locate all the parts previously described in the "how to".
Stuffed up the picture thing, will try again.
Kev.Image
Krat

Postby ssdsibes on Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:35 +0000

Krat wrote:Had a quick look this morning. But could find no reference to removing the large pipe from the intercooler on the drivers side.
Maybe I just don't understand what it's called.
Picture attached.[img]
I have gone no further than looking and trying to locate all the parts previously described in the "how to".
Stuffed up the picture thing, will try again.
Kev.Image

Remove the hose clamp at the bottom of the pipe, so that the pipe comes off attached to the intercooler.

Sam
ssdsibes

Postby Krat on Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:27 +0000

Thanks Sam,
I thought as much, but it pays to check.

I will keep you posted when I get it all done.

Kev.
Krat

Postby dazzah on Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:07 +0000

Hi Guys
I did this to my 05 over the weekend...was reasonably dirty but not as bad as some on here...I disconnected the battery and removed it when I did it...put it all back together...now the engine light is on and it's in limp mode...any ideas?
I've checked all the wiring connections, they all seem to connect properly...hoses are back together tight...I don't have a scanner to see what the code is...

Are most mechanic workshops able to fix this or is it a toyota only fix?
Thanks
dazzah

Postby Hellbound on Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:16 +0000

Loose vacuum line or wrong vacuum line going into the wrong spot ? Did you tighten all the bolts back properly, or maybe a loose intercooler piping? Go over everything you touched and compare them to the photos in this thread for a reference as to where the vac lines go, sounds like fun !
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:21 +0000

It could be a electrical connecter not pushed on properly or a vac line in the wrong spot as hellbound just described.
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby dazzah on Tue, 21 Jun 2011 1:14 +0000

All good...pulled everything apart and put it back together and engine light is off and running fine...it all seemed fine taking it apart again...maybe elecrical fitting not clicked together...thanks for the replies :mrgreen:
dazzah

Postby Krat on Tue, 21 Jun 2011 2:10 +0000

Well I finally got up the courage to do this one.
Took my time and all went to plan. My 07 with 65000 on the clock was about as dirty as the other ones already shown.
Cleaned it up, put it back together, and started the re assemble.
Now the shit has happened.
There is not a hope in hell of getting the 2 bolts back in, that connect the EGR Heat exchanger to the EGR valve.(Step 14 in reverse). I undid the 3 bolts in Step 16 and the bolt in Step 15 and tried Step 14 again but the bolts will not line up.
What the hell have I done wrong.
It appears my reassembly after the cleanout has changed something. Photos attached. Do they look right.
(Click the pictures for the full image)
The gasket here has lugs on the outside. Do these face up or down, and will it make any difference.
Please help, I need to get this sorted or there will be an 07 Hilux going cheap.
Krat

Postby Hellbound on Tue, 21 Jun 2011 3:20 +0000

Lugs face up on the 2 hole gasket, mine were tough to get back in at first but i tweaked those lugs in a bit so it was a tight fit onto the bottom of that egr valve and didnt fall away when i let go of it. The bolts have to go through the gasket holes perfectly otherwise they wont thread into the bit your talking about. Took all 3 of the other bolts that connect the elbow to the lower manifold completely out first and then got the two bolts in question to thread into that housing a touch before going ahead with putting the 3 in. Wiggle it around until you feel it bite in cos from what i can see it looks right so just have a play with it, maybe someone else knows more....
Hellbound

Postby ssdsibes on Tue, 21 Jun 2011 3:25 +0000

Krat wrote:Well I finally got up the courage to do this one.
Took my time and all went to plan. My 07 with 65000 on the clock was about as dirty as the other ones already shown.
Cleaned it up, put it back together, and started the re assemble.
Now the shit has happened.
There is not a hope in hell of getting the 2 bolts back in, that connect the EGR Heat exchanger to the EGR valve.(Step 14 in reverse). I undid the 3 bolts in Step 16 and the bolt in Step 15 and tried Step 14 again but the bolts will not line up.
What the hell have I done wrong.
It appears my reassembly after the cleanout has changed something. Photos attached. Do they look right.

(Click the pictures for the full image)
The gasket here has lugs on the outside. Do these face up or down, and will it make any difference.
Please help, I need to get this sorted or there will be an 07 Hilux going cheap.

Hey Krat

All looks assembled correct. Did you put the 2 steel gaskets between EGR valve/elbow/throtle body back in?

This was a bit difficult as I had to leave the 3 bolts on the elbow to manifold loose and then push up the 2 bolts that attach to the heat exchanger and with a bit of jiggling they located ok. Gasket had lugs facing up. Also before you tighten the 5 bolts up, attach the bolt that holds the assembly to the alloy bracket on drivers side, once all 6 bolts are located, tighten up.

Sam
ssdsibes

Postby Krat on Tue, 21 Jun 2011 5:14 +0000

The two gaskets were replaced and I had the other one with the lugs facing up, but it was able to slide around. I will tweek it as suggested.
What I have noticed though, when pulling the elbow apart again to check the gaskets, is that when you tighten the 3 nuts on the elbow,the EGR assembly and Heat exchanger bit where the two awkward bolts go in, don't necessarily align in one spot.
This is because the studs are smaller diameter than the holes through the assembly. It can move a couple of mm in each direction which means it may not fit flush with the 2 mating surfaces when refitting to the inlet assembly.The use of sleeves would have prevented this Mr Toyota.
I might loosen the three nuts on the elbow, refit it to the inlet assembly and see what happens.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the responses so far.
Kev.
Krat

Postby Hellbound on Tue, 21 Jun 2011 7:36 +0000

Think thats about it just keep playing with it, there is a sequence that works tho just got to keep trying. You could try putting the metal gasket onto the outlet from the egr cooler pipe instead of the circular valve bit and poke the bolts through the gasket first, just to try and catch onto a thread on the valve part, then put in the 3 bolts into the elbow after.
Hellbound

Postby Krat on Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:40 +0000

All back together this morning. As suggested, it was the washer moving around that caused the problem.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Now for the part that makes you think ' maybe I should never have started this job'.
Went out all confident with all the parts ready, put the rejigged gasket on, sat the assembly in place, grabbed the bolt to fit on the passenger side and in it went first go.
Now for the drivers side which was a bit more awkward. Grabbed the bolt, put it in the assembly, then dropped the damn thing. Couldn't get it out so had to take the assembly off again to locate it. All good, so start again. Assembly back on , go to put the passenger bolt back in and drop it as well.
This time it has gone to where most of the other dropped items go, the ' black hole' that vehicle manufacturers put in every vehicle to cause you pain and promote swearing outbursts that tend to offend neighbours.
After looking for about 30 mins I have given up and gone to Toyota for a replacement and a spare.
All then goes well without a problem.
I decide then to put the ute on the ramps and have a look from underneath. Bolt is not on the bashplates. Bugger.
But then , joy, the bloody thing had dropped down and was sitting on top of the front diff assembly.
I will put it back in when I do the next clean out .
Hope this helps the next person doing this job when they drop these suckers.

Kev.
Krat

Postby MADDOG on Thu, 23 Jun 2011 1:29 +0000

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you had fun mate. Glad it ended well.
MADDOG

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks