Transfer Case Breathers

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Transfer Case Breathers

Postby Bushbound on Tue, 24 May 2011 3:26 +0000

I own a 05 SR D4D xtra cab and have recently brought a transfer case full of mud home from a trip, so breathers have been on the agenda. I made and mounted a breather manifold to inside of RH front guard, used 6mm OD pneumatic tube to connect everything and used sintered bronze breathers. These will still breathe when they are wet, unlike some that have been used on this site.

The front and back diffs are pretty well covered but there is a lot of incorrect information regarding the gearbox and transfer case breathers.
Just a general note on remote breathers - the hose that is attached to the diffs, gearbox etc, will be carrying a small amount of oil vapour and over time this oil vapour will condense into oil, and run to the lowest point. The hose MUST NOT have any low points, it must travel up at all times or oil will settle in the low points and block the hose = breather wont work.
Transfer Case.
The transfer case has 3 breathers, 2 on the RHS that are connected together and the hose goes to a breather somewhere on the bell housing, mine was loose so dont know where exactly. This hose is 4mm ID and can be connected to pneumatic tube using standard fittings. The 3rd breather is on LH side and vents the front / selector compartment of the transfer case and has a rubber cap sealing it from factory. This needs to be connected to the breathers as the compartment on my transfer was 1/2 full of mud and water.

The hose tail is 5mm so I used 5mm fuel hose to connect to this and forced 6mm pneumatic tube into other end and off to the manifold. Transfer case is now fully vented, just have to put rubber boots and console back. Hope this helps someone.

Geoff

a
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Re: Transfer Case Breathers

Postby tasibrett on Tue, 24 May 2011 7:46 +0000

Thats a eye opener, should be able to check for water in there with a thin tub on a syringe.
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby Bushbound on Thu, 26 May 2011 12:33 +0000

Brett,
You wouldn't be able to get a syringe down the tube as there is NO room to work in this area and access is through the gear shift hole under the console so lots of work to get to it.
With the aid of hindsight - I would recommend to anyone pulling their transfer case out of the vehicle, to drill and tap a drain hole in the bottom of this compartment, there's room to tap a 1/4bsp hole in their no problems. I'd simply put a plug in the hole and remove and check when changing the diff oil, or after driving in water.
I also put a joiner in my breather hoses so they can be pulled apart and blown out with compressed air when I do the oil changes - that way I'll know they will work when I need them to.
Geoff
Bushbound

Postby yamahaman on Sun, 09 Oct 2011 8:03 +0000

Hello can you please pose some more pictures of the other side if you have them. Do you know if the manual box has any breathers that should be rerouted?
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!
yamahaman

Postby Bushbound on Mon, 10 Oct 2011 4:14 +0000

Mate, I've posted up the info on gearbox breathers but photo's have been deleted on photobucket, pm me your email address and exactly what photo's you want and I'll email them to you.
Geoff
Bushbound

Postby FAIL on Mon, 15 Dec 2014 6:44 +0000

I know this is an old thread but what did yiu use to stop the shavings going in the box and transfer case? Did yiu just vacuum slowly as you were going?

So how many fittings in total would I meed for an auto box and transfer case?
FAIL

Return to Drive Train Components