Gen Hilux 8 Paint Quality Problems

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Re: Gen Hilux 8 Paint Quality Problems

Postby Glenrod on Fri, 15 Dec 2017 12:53 +0000

Don't know about earlier Hilux as this one (2017) is my first, but I don't reckon the paint is anywhere near as "tough" as what's on my old 75 Cruiser.

I knocked one of the doors (my fault) and the paint chipped off, what I thought, was quite easily.

Maybe I am just spoilt. :lol:

Cheers
Pop
Glenrod

Postby dan@biali on Sat, 16 Dec 2017 5:51 +0000

Most modern car paint is fragile because of it being waterbased. I had my Hilux covered in paint protection film. Annoyingly got a stonechip on the bonnet the day before I had it done!

The rust spots could be iron from either sitting in a holding yard once the vehicles are built or I've also read its the brake dust from the transport trains but not sure if the Hilux is moved about from production to pre sale yards like that. (I had it happen on a car when I lived right below a train station. The trains would be doing a lot of heavy braking and the dust covered the cars in the car park. Eventually it started to burn into the clearcoat and created little pock marks.)

Easy enough to remove if it is iron with an iron fallout remover which stinks like a blocked drain but dissolves the marks and turns purple when its working.
dan@biali

Postby numberplate on Mon, 18 Dec 2017 4:50 +0000

has anybody else had the paint rub through the top surface of the radiator support panel ? mine is going back in to be repaired under warranty. i think the bonnet is adjusted down too far
numberplate

Re: Paint defects

Postby SilverSP on Tue, 19 Dec 2017 3:33 +0000

Hiluxtorv wrote:
mcflux wrote:Hi all,

it has all little orange dots that look a bit like rust, seems like something has gotten onto the paint, it's on my bonnet, the top edge of both doors etc.

I cleaned mine yesterday and found a spot like this just under the back window. As it can't be seen so not too concerned about the appearance but would it end up rusting through?
SilverSP

Postby Critter350 on Tue, 19 Dec 2017 7:38 +0000

Rust grows, this is why they call it cancer.

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby Allords on Thu, 21 Dec 2017 6:17 +0000

Im picking up what you're putting down.
The paint (knob swallower Blue) on my car sux.

Two outlines of bird shit on the bonnet, and the metal is weak as piss.
Believe it or not, I've got a thumb print in the right side of the tail gate, and similar on drivers door

you just need to look at it and the result is a dent or paint problem
Allords

Postby Silverfox1111 on Sun, 31 Dec 2017 5:22 +0000

As to the spots that look like rust. Now think they are from tree or bug droppings. Originally i thought it was rust but after seeing the same spots on my canopy (toyota, plastic of some sort) it can't be.
Tried cleaning with a bug & tar remover but that was still requiring a lot of rubbing as the marks are pretty stubborn.
Was suggested that a couple of capfulls of kerosene in a bucket of water would work. Has anyone tried this yet?
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Postby DrewXT on Tue, 02 Jan 2018 7:46 +0000

Silverfox1111 wrote:As to the spots that look like rust. Now think they are from tree or bug droppings. Originally i thought it was rust but after seeing the same spots on my canopy (toyota, plastic of some sort) it can't be.
Tried cleaning with a bug & tar remover but that was still requiring a lot of rubbing as the marks are pretty stubborn.
Was suggested that a couple of capfulls of kerosene in a bucket of water would work. Has anyone tried this yet?
Silverfox
Try Turtle Wax Polish... It is exceptionally good at removing unexpected marks (fruit bat crap for me) on paintwork

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
DrewXT

Postby Silverfox1111 on Wed, 03 Jan 2018 8:02 +0000

I'll give the turtle wax a try.
Are you the same "drewxt" i met at the marulan maccas last year to hand over the camp ovens? Small world if you are!
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Postby SilverSP on Wed, 03 Jan 2018 8:51 +0000

I had Bat poo on my last car and found that warm white vinegar socked in a paper towel and left on the poo for a few mins is fantastic for removing it. It just wiped off.
Doesn't damage the paint either.
SilverSP

Rust On New Hilux

Postby teboc on Sat, 27 Oct 2018 11:31 +0000

6 to 7 months ago, my son purchased a NEW Hilux ute for his business which he is starting next week.
Since purchasing it has been parked in my yard each day and he only takes it out on Saturday afternoons and Sundays as he does not want to park it at his place of work.
Today he took it to be professionally cleaned and washed with the chemicals provided by Toyota and was informed of rust spot appearing through the paint. On further examination, I found a very bad rust spot on the roof just above the door, various rust spots coming through the paintwork around the vehicle and the chassis actually has flaking rust spot, plus others.
He took it to Toyota and the lady was very nasty to him saying that he should have has rust prevention treatment, This is rubbish as I have had my vehicle fro over 12 years, no rust treatment and no rust to date.
Has anyone else found this? If you have a new Hilux?
Please check your vehicle.
teboc

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 27 Oct 2018 11:34 +0000

Threads merged
DeadlyBeast

Re: Rust On New Hilux

Postby iller on Sat, 27 Oct 2018 7:57 +0000

teboc wrote:6 to 7 months ago, my son purchased a NEW Hilux ute for his business which he is starting next week.
Since purchasing it has been parked in my yard each day and he only takes it out on Saturday afternoons and Sundays as he does not want to park it at his place of work.
Today he took it to be professionally cleaned and washed with the chemicals provided by Toyota and was informed of rust spot appearing through the paint. On further examination, I found a very bad rust spot on the roof just above the door, various rust spots coming through the paintwork around the vehicle and the chassis actually has flaking rust spot, plus others.
He took it to Toyota and the lady was very nasty to him saying that he should have has rust prevention treatment, This is rubbish as I have had my vehicle fro over 12 years, no rust treatment and no rust to date.
Has anyone else found this? If you have a new Hilux?
Please check your vehicle.

Rust prevention on the roof? lol She must had no knowledge about where you put that :P
iller

Previous

Return to General Discussion