Too SideStep or Not ?

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: Too SideStep or Not ?

Postby VMN on Sun, 01 Nov 2015 4:03 +0000

kekkonen wrote:
What's the possible effect of the side steps on the air bag??

Nothing.....
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby incman on Mon, 02 Nov 2015 6:28 +0000

That isn't entirely correct, side steps/bars/sliders have to be ADR compliant

both of these manufacturers state ADR compliance for side airbag support
http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/toyota-hilux ... k-sliders/
http://www.phatbars.com.au/product/toyo ... ally-step/

there was a thread on this a while ago, basically take your chances with insurance if they aren't compliant
incman

Postby VMN on Mon, 02 Nov 2015 5:28 +0000

incman wrote:That isn't entirely correct, side steps/bars/sliders have to be ADR compliant

both of these manufacturers state ADR compliance for side airbag support
http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/toyota-hilux ... k-sliders/
http://www.phatbars.com.au/product/toyo ... ally-step/

there was a thread on this a while ago, basically take your chances with insurance if they aren't compliant

Show me where in the ADR's or the NCOP that lays down requirements for sliders and barwork. AS4876 deals with bullbars (vehicle frontal protection systems) but a number of key clauses were omitted when adopted by the states (I recently reviewed SA, NSW, VIC and QLD) in relation to bullbars. As a category NA2 vehicle under the ADR's, there are a number of ADR's that do not apply to the Hilux.

IMHO this all came to a head when a certain Publically listed company crash tested a few vehicles and then used their substantial marketing resources (eg. Spin doctors) to gain competitive advantage.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby Richolux150 on Mon, 02 Nov 2015 5:33 +0000

Seems someone is throwing Grenades Rod...... :? :? :?
Cheers Richo
If cat turds were Gold nuggets, I'd be the richest bloke on the block... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richolux150

Postby VMN on Mon, 02 Nov 2015 5:37 +0000

:evil: :evil: :evil:
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby oggy on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 2:36 +0000

So does anybody know exactly(speculation isn't good enough) ,where the side airbag sensors are? Are they in the sills or are they in the door pillars?
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby incman on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 5:34 +0000

VMN wasn't that hard, you can ask Paul for the details. Side bars that are too strong won't fold so and wont trigger the sensor for side airbags

Hi Ivan
I finally have some clarity on this topic. I own PHAT Bars and have been chasing my tail trying to get Air bag approval for my sidesteps.
Yes, there is an approval. And I should have this in about 2weeks
A lot of manufacturers claim that you don't need approval or that there is no such thing. But there is!
I have had to change my design a little to accommodate for this approval, but I will offer 2 choices when selling my steps. Air bag approved and Not
As Bob mentioned, if you want to really protect your car, you won't worry about approved steps, you will get the strongest and appropriate steps that suit.
But if you want price of mind with air bag approval, there is slim pickings as to who does this and I hope I can fill the gap.
I hope this helps.
Paul
viewtopic.php?t=23695
incman

Postby VMN on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 5:54 +0000

oggy wrote:So does anybody know exactly(speculation isn't good enough) ,where the side airbag sensors are? Are they in the sills or are they in the door pillars?

but look closely as to locations and the sides they apply to. The one cut off near the mirror says "Side Airbag Sensor RHS"

My take on this is the sensor on the side of impact is the safing sensor and the opposite side is the declaration sensor. The front airbag docs refer to the front ones on this diagram as safing sensors. Deployment is controlled by a computer under the front console which also contains the frontal impact declaration sensor. Docs go on to say airbags are deployed when the declaration threshold is reached and the safing sensor is armed.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby incman on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 5:57 +0000

Makes sense to me, fitting anything that changes the dynamics of the safety systems wouldn't be legal, and will void your insurance

OFF-ROAD ARMOUR
If your vehicle has airbags, fitting a custom bull bar without ADR certification is a big no-no. The same goes for bolting steel rock sliders on trucks with side airbags. This is because the barwork may interfere with the safe operation of the airbag system in the event of an accident.
In many cases, crumple zones need to be engineered into the mounting points, just like a bulbar, to ensure the step/rail/slider moves with the impact rather than resists it. The big name suppliers such as ARB, Opposite Lock and TJM have this covered, so if you want safe and legal protection it’s best to check with them. Backyard or custom units are best left to older trucks where there is no risk of airbag deployment failure.
http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/4x4-illegal/
incman

Postby incman on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 7:44 +0000

Manufacturers stating ADR compliance, I spent quite a bit of time going through all of this, including calling up my insurance company and getting their take on it.

XROX
http://www.rocksliders.com.au/legal-roc ... e-airbags/
Rockarmour
http://www.superioroffroad4wd.com.au/sh ... how/id/119
Uneek 4x4
http://www.toughtoys.com.au/products/534/
Phat Bars
http://www.phatbars.com.au/
TJM and ARB

Paul from Phat Bars sent pictures through of his rock sliders undertaking ADR compliance testing, Im sure if you call him up he would let you know the details of it - 0418788728
incman

Postby incman on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 10:20 +0000

I have sent these guys an email asking if they could clarify the ADR rules for side impact airbag compliance and rock sliders. Rather them than ask infrastructure.gov, get a definitive answer once and for all/

Maybe Paul from Phats will reply, but hopefully these guys respond as well.

http://www.autosafety.com.au/testing_auto_eng.htm
incman

Postby oggy on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 12:42 +0000

VMN wrote:
oggy wrote:So does anybody know exactly(speculation isn't good enough) ,where the side airbag sensors are? Are they in the sills or are they in the door pillars?

but look closely as to locations and the sides they apply to. The one cut off near the mirror says "Side Airbag Sensor RHS"

My take on this is the sensor on the side of impact is the safing sensor and the opposite side is the declaration sensor. The front airbag docs refer to the front ones on this diagram as safing sensors. Deployment is controlled by a computer under the front console which also contains the frontal impact declaration sensor. Docs go on to say airbags are deployed when the declaration threshold is reached and the safing sensor is armed.
I fail to see how rocksliders would effect the deployment if the sensors are at a height half way up the doors :?: i think it would make milliseconds difference. The other vehicle is still going hit and crumple above the height of the sliders.
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby Richolux150 on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 5:50 +0000

Methinks this argument goes out the window when you get T-Bonned by a B Double Mack.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

That reminds me... what does a Mack use as Airbags.......

A Barina... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Cheers Richo
If cat turds were Gold nuggets, I'd be the richest bloke on the block... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richolux150

Postby kekkonen on Wed, 04 Nov 2015 3:19 +0000

I can't find any hints of specially air bag compliance side steps in my country. Probably i shouldn't get in troubles at least with the authorities as long as they look more or less normal (not special heavy weight structure). And it also came to my mind that I'm not sure if my hilux does have the side air bags :mrgreen: Do they all have them? My -09 hilux is not here right now so I can't check it.

Some off topic: Usually all the regulations always get more and more difficult for example if you want to modify your 4x4 keeping it street legal. However, surprisingly we experienced here recently an "improvement" for the 4x4 guys. We had long time the rule that the tyre diameter can be increased max 51 mm from the original size. Now we have a special rule for the proper 4x4's (including hilux): max tyre diameter increase 10 % of the original but not bigger than 77 mm :)
kekkonen

Postby incman on Wed, 04 Nov 2015 7:30 +0000

That seems definitive to me. Nice of him to reply so quickly!

Thank you for your email.

We are the largest Australian test facility for independent evaluation of automotive accessories.

Rock sliders are popular accessories amongst 4WD enthusiasts and if not correctly designed and fitted the
rock sliders can affect side airbags.

We provide technical expertise in how to design and position rock sliders and side steps to prevent an
accidental side airbag deployment.

I enclose a leaflet about the testing required.

PDF says:-
Side Step Impact testing is carried out to stimulate crumpling of the step and ensure correct side airbag deployment. The maximum allowable crumpling deceleration for a side step is 5% of the actual or comparable vehicle structure over> 2ms. Using a specially constructed pendulum, the side step was mounted onto the stimulated chassis and impacted with a steel plate, padded with a panel of plywood, mass qual to the vehicle kerb + driver mass
This is used to verify that the side step mountings are unlikely to have a detrimental effect on the normal operation of the airbag system of the vehicle.
incman

Previous

Return to General Discussion